Bottom bracket tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bunnym0b

Regular
I am replacing the suspect bottom bracket with a Campagnolo Record ( early 1970s). I know I’ll need some tools but am not sure what ones. Are they universal? The suspect one has similar fitting save for the locking ring which has only a single notch in it. I believe it is not a sealed bearing but can’t swear to it until I strip it down.
The bike is from the mid 1980s it’s a Bianchi sprint 28.
i
DA575179-D92D-4AED-962F-79E33BD98BF2.png

Attachments

• FD6D5054-C173-4FC7-89DB-CEFBCEBB7BC6.jpeg
    FD6D5054-C173-4FC7-89DB-CEFBCEBB7BC6.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 9

midlife

Guru
Was that breakfast.

I guess you will never use the tools again so woul suggest asking your LBS to remove it. Cheaper and less sweat.

Sharky

Guru
+1 for going to a good LBS.

Campy ones are quite expensive and unlikely to be stocked by your LBS, so don't be surprised if he suggests sealed shimano one. Nothing wrong with a shimano one, unless you want to stick to the brand. Secondly, BB lengths are confusing and easy to buy the wrong one, so another + for going to a LBS, is that they will know exactly which one to use.

If you let the LBS do the job, you won't need any tools, at least until the next time. But I would check that you do have the necessary tool to tighten the cranks bolts should they become loose. The ones in the picture will need a socket or box spanner and needs to be quite thin. A standard car socket is going to be too bulky. Crank bolts nowadays have allen key fittings (8mm?) so just check that you have one that fits in your tool box.

Good luck

Reactions: C R

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have the tools from way back when but not all bike shops will. You'll need to go to a long-established one, as cup and cone BBs have been a rarity for over 25 years.

These are the proper tools; they are big for leverage.

You can remove a BB of this type with a hammer, punch and strongly-attached bench vice if it's not going to be re-used.

On your bike, the cups on BOTH sides probably unscrew anti-clockwise as it is likely to be an Italian threading. Check if the shell is 70mm wide and/or the cups are marked 36 x 24 or ITA.

If the shell is 68mm wide and the cups are marked 1.37 x 24, BSC or ISO, the drive side cup unscrews clockwise.

Attachments

• 20200603_141656.jpg
    20200603_141656.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
bunnym0b

bunnym0b

Regular
Thanks for the insight.
Park Tools makes various wrenches.
I’d ask my local bike shop but they have a 4-6 week wait. I’ve taken advice on the one to purchase- it fits the new crankset.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just need a 'C-spanner' and a 'double pin spanner' - 3 and 2 in Roger's image above, and good sized adjustable. On an Italian frame (ALAN screwed and glued) I have exactly this Campagnolo BB (well it looks it: mine is late 70s vintage) and came out (and back in) no bother. Hammer and punch would work as well. Any risk of damage can be mitigated by taking due care.

OP
OP
bunnym0b

bunnym0b

Regular
I've ordered the kit and will keep you posted. In the mean time Im going to clean her up and prepare to put on a few Neuvo Record bits and pieces, gears, crankset (the aforementioned bottom bracket) as well as peddles. I've got a set of period Mavic Wheels with small Campagnollo hubs as well as some tasty supple gum rubber boots for my Weinman brakes.
Ill commute to work on this'd see how I get on.

ciao

OP
OP
bunnym0b

bunnym0b

Regular
Was that breakfast.

I guess you will never use the tools again so woul suggest asking your LBS to remove it. Cheaper and less sweat.
it was.. why its there i don't know

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a set of 3 Campag BB tools - cost a fortune in the day, but they were good (used on Shimano kit). Only ever use the one with the 15mm pedal spanner on one end - well I don't - I lent it to my neighbour. The spanner cost more than his pedals. Got them off no messing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Assuming it is an Italian BB, the RH cup needs to go in very tight and mild threadlock is better than grease (it prevents corrosion just the same). An insufficiently tightened one will walk itself out on a ride, then you have a problem!

OP
OP
bunnym0b

bunnym0b

Regular
Well it came out and the new one went in no bother. The tools were cheap, and I have a few other bikes to sort out. When the whole thing is done il take a picture.

Thanks for your help. As I said I'd go to my local bike shop but he has a stupendous wait

Top Bottom