Bottom Bracket upgrade for Boardman CX Comp ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all.
After reading various threads about the bottom bracket on the Boardman CX Comp failing, what do members recommend as an upgrade replacement please ?

And seeing as this problem has been around for a good couple of years and Boardman are apparently aware of it, how come they haven't solved it ?
Your thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
Cheers.

S-Express

The CX Comp has a square taper BB does it not? You can't get much more reliable than that.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If it's square taper, then a Shimano UN55 is about as good as it gets.

I have the CX Team, and that has the 'troublesome' PF30 bottom bracket. It's been so troublesome, in fact, that in the 4000 miles covered since February 2015, I've actually had to grease it once.....

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

I was asking because of the post i'd read about it failing. Obviously rather than it happen to me i would rather change it in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what others have said. The BB you have already is pretty much bomb proof.
It won't just fail either, it will deteriorate over time. Become grindy and notchy. But really nothing to worry about until it does go. (You will have a long wait)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Can you link to the post you are referring to?
I found this one, which led me to others. Hope this helps.
Got a bit scared after reading them and panicked as I'm thinking of getting one and can't have it happen on my commute.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12851405

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You're panicking over not an awful lot. A small number of people contained on a forum has no bearing on the sheer volume of these bikes sold and in daily use/abuse, the happy people are out riding them and generally not posting on the internets.

S-Express

I found this one, which led me to others. Hope this helps.
Got a bit scared after reading them and panicked as I'm thinking of getting one and can't have it happen on my commute.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12851405

Couple of people on a forum five years ago and you are worrying? It's not even clear from any of that what BB standard they are talking about. Just forget about it and move on with your life.

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

You're panicking over not an awful lot. A small number of people contained on a forum has no bearing on the sheer volume of these bikes sold and in daily use/abuse, the happy people are out riding them and generally not posting on the internets.

Couple of people on a forum five years ago and you are worrying? It's not even clear from any of that what BB standard they are talking about. Just forget about it and move on with your life.

Thanks guys, you're both right of course. Feel much better now.
So thanks again. I'd be out riding but theirs a thunderstorm here at the moment. :angry:
Cheers.

huggy

Don't change it till you have a problem, if you changed a part every time you found someone on the internet with a problem with that part you would end up with a new bike every month, which I suppose is no bad thing!

Top Bottom