bottom brackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

i've posted this question on yacf
but does anybody here know:
on a bottom bracket such as this one:
bbun54.jpg

is the measurement that you choose (it comes in anything from 107mm to 127mm)
the TOTAL width of it? and does the chainring sit just outboard of that - i.e. is that measurement double the distance from the inside of the chainring to the centre of the bb shell?

I'm replacing the bottom bracket on the fixed renovation, and a quick calculation with a level edge tells me the one it's got on would give an almost perfect chainline, but if anything the chainring would ideally sit 2 to 3mm further inbound that what it currently is. So i'm just wondering how to measurethe current BB to tell me what size of new one to get. (The shell is 68mm btw.)

also what bottom bracket tool do I need if the bottom bracket has got six (square-ish looking) notches in one side of it.

It is out side to out side if you wish to move the cranks in just get the size just a bit down as you say.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:
just trim it down with an angle grinder.

The tool is a fairly standard item. I have one, if you're near Brum you're welcome to borrow it.

why not just use a bloody angle grinder as a chainring dave:rolleyes: go on you know you want to

do they work down the phone?
if so phone me up.
apparently car key fobs do.

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
why not just use a bloody angle grinder as a chainring dave:rolleyes: go on you know you want to

do they work down the phone?
if so phone me up.
apparently car key fobs do.

I meant the tool to undo the lockring and fixed cup.

I assumed you had an angle grinder.

Is that true about car locks?

BB assemblies have two pertinent dimensions, shell width (68 or 73) and axle length, measured from one end to the other of the .. er .. axle, eg; 68/113 or 73/109 etc.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ok cheers.
What tool for removing a bottom bracket that appears to have 6 external, square notches on one end (the non-drive-side)? I'm hoping a pipe wrench will do 'cos i can't find a specific BB tool for it, the BB isn't going to be saved, and the cup seems to sit slightly proud of the shell so can grip the cup without touching the shell. thoughts?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

look dave (and mickle), this is the bottom bracket shell
3110138722_bf152e41ae.jpg

what tool is needed for it or shall I just use a pipe wrench.

as in if you can post a link to the required tool that would be the answer to the question.

Thanks for the offer dave, if i was near brum i would but i think it would be cheaper to buy it than drive all the way there.

i've heard that car locks do work down the phone, yes. Whether it's true or not, i don't know. It may be that somebody's tried it and it works, or it could just be that they've assumed it probably works and started spreading the rumour that it definitely does. I do know that phones only transmit about 0-4kHz so if it's higher frequency than this it probably doesn't. What use it would be anyway - i don't know - if you forget your car keys and ring home you could then get into your car, but still couldn't go anywhere.

peanut

bonj said:
i've heard that car locks do work down the phone, yes. Whether it's true or not, i don't know. What use it would be anyway - i don't know - if you forget your car keys and ring home you could then get into your car, but still couldn't go anywhere.

it would be useful if you locked your keys in the car. Often done when getting things out of the boot and leaving keys in the boot.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom