Bottoms on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Seconded, wear the insert next to the skin. As for washing the shorts most will dry overnight, the insert may not completely especially if on a camping trip, but lets face it at the top of the first hill it may not be dry anyway

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

asterix said:
Yes but had they practised what they preach? It doesn't sound very comfortable!

After all, they've gone to a lot of effort to design a comfortable insert for saddle-sitting, and then someone puts a cossie on under it that certainly wasn't intended for that purpose.

An extra pair of shorts isn't exactly heavy and a certain part of your anatonomy will thank you for taking the trouble to pack them.

Tourists can be a bit over-obsessed by weight but it's surprising how much you can carry with the correct gearing. I speak having done the 10 day Raid Pyrenean in June carrying full camping kit. Note rather inelegantly displayed shorts, drying:blush:

snorri

Legendary Member
Whatever you wear, in order to avoid problems, the most important point is to ensure high levels of personal hygiene in the underpant areas.;):biggrin:

wafflycat

When on cycle tour, I found the keys to comfort are:-

1. Keep the nether regions exceedingly clean. Wash morning & night.
  2. Three pairs of padded shorts (wear, wash, dry) with a clean pair worn every day.
  3. Vaseline/germolene/savlon liberally applied to nether regions each day. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
  4. Go commando!
  5. A saddle that fits properly.

There is another compromise.........

Most companies make padded undershorts. These can be worn as "normal underwear" under ordinary clothing.

I use these with outdoor clothing such as Rohan, or any of the other brands of travel clothing.

Not as totally comfortable as lycra shorts, but if you are touring and don't want to shout "cyclist" it is a useful option.

P.H

Über Member
I wouldn't use anything unless or until you needed it. Then balance forum advice with that from a pharmacist. If you become prone to bacterial infection, a barrier cream wouldn’t be the best option. If you suffer from chaffing, a medicinal cream designed to be absorbed won’t offer much lubrication. If you do get a problem, often anything is better than nothing, but it won't be as good as the correct product.
I occasionally use Assos cream when it's a long ride, particularly if it's wet or very hot. If I'm feeling a little sore after a ride I'll use Savlon, though I might try Udder Cream;
http://www.notjustforcows.co.uk/index.html

Cunobelin said:
There is another compromise.........

Most companies make padded undershorts. These can be worn as "normal underwear" under ordinary clothing.

I use these with outdoor clothing such as Rohan, or any of the other brands of travel clothing.

Not as totally comfortable as lycra shorts, but if you are touring and don't want to shout "cyclist" it is a useful option.

...the bike might be a giveaway though ;):biggrin:

I just have a puerile sense of humour.
But i like your use of quotation marks there... ;o)

Top Bottom