Bought another ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Already have an Orbea Gain road ebike but fancied to supplement it with something better off road so have put a deposit on a Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 625 hardtail e-mtb. Picking it up on Saturday.

It has the Bosch Performance CX gen 4 (85nm) motor and Deore 1x12 drivetrain with a 10-51 cassette. Could probably climb a vertical cliff if you could hang on... and persuade the tyres to grip! :biggrin:

Drago

Legendary Member
Pleasant. My Trek as the same motor. I have doubts about claims of 85NM, but it certainly shoves my 123kg about with little effort.

Mrs M

Guru
Already have an Orbea Gain road ebike but fancied to supplement it with something better off road so have put a deposit on a Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 625 hardtail e-mtb. Picking it up on Saturday.

It has the Bosch Performance CX gen 4 (85nm) motor and Deore 1x12 drivetrain with a 10-51 cassette. Could probably climb a vertical cliff if you could hang on... and persuade the tyres to grip! :biggrin:

Mr M has that bike.
I borrow it occasionally 😀
Lovely bike to ride.
Hope you enjoy 😉

Mrs M

Guru
Mr M’s Cube hybrid.

IMG_1054.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Pleasant. My Trek as the same motor. I have doubts about claims of 85NM, but it certainly shoves my 123kg about with little effort.

Yeah I think they all play fast and loose with stats. It's like car mpg and emissions before all the hoohah. My Gain hub motor is allegedly 44nm, but they say that's a "mid-motor equivalent" torque figure. 🤔
The Cube certainly feels like it's got a lot more push than the Orbea, but is about 10kg heavier.

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is there are no laws ot even agreed industry standards so they get away with spouting all sorts of poo. I mean , 85NM is small city car torque levels!

But my 60NM carrera shifts me as strongly as my 85NM Trek, so at least on of them is playing fast and loose with the truth (probably both!)

Either way, the Gen 4 works nicely and - touch wood - I've not had rhe dreaded Error 500/550 messages.

D

Deleted member 26715

Got a Cube Acid, well I think I have, lent it to a work mate after his knee op, lent it to my son to try to get him motivated, it did for a while, it's now with my daughter for the same reason, but I don't think she's used it. May have to borrow my own bike back.

Yeah I think they all play fast and loose with stats. It's like car mpg and emissions before all the hoohah. My Gain hub motor is allegedly 44nm, but they say that's a "mid-motor equivalent" torque figure. 🤔
The Cube certainly feels like it's got a lot more push than the Orbea, but is about 10kg heavier.

I'm suspecting the gain is quite a lightweight ebike so they are probably comparing it to mid-drive motors for similar bikes. Bosch mid-drive motors start at 40Nm and you lose about 1-2Nm through the chain. If you have a 48T chainring and 32T maximum rear cog you only get two thirds of the peak claimed torque. So that 38 is down to 25-26Nm considerably less than most hub motors. It's all about looking at the full spec. Also cooling is an issue for mid-drives, they are based around a smaller high rpm motor and typically nylon cogs and sometimes belts and its all contained with the controller in one unit so heat build up is a greater issue so mid-drives will drop power more quickly in order to reduce heat especially if a smaller mid-drive motor. No question high torque mid-drive motors designed for e-mountain bikes with low gearing are the most powerful though, but it is wrong to assume a mid-drive motor is more powerful it can be considerably less than a hub motor.

I take the simple view if its a e-mountain bike it has to be mid-drive but if its an e-bike for the road it has to be hub motor unless you are seriously weak and need 80Nm or more of assistance for hills but you need to make sure you are getting the correct motor and many such ebikes have front and even rear suspension which is un-necessary weight and maintenance on a ebike for the road.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Well here it is, muddy after first ride home from the shop, 34 miles over some fairly rough bridleways.
Wish I’d taken a photo in the shop when it was clean!

IMG_0734.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dadam

It was a lot muddier earlier on, thought not quite as muddy as that, but then there was a downpour 5 miles from home, washed a lot off

Top Bottom