[BOUGHT] Second hand road bike <= £300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

Hello guys, pretty much what the title says. (With a lot of help from this section of the forum) I've recently picked out a lovely new Cannondale caad8 which I will be testing later today. I also want to get a bike to use in adverse weather and situations where I don't want top take the new bike, such as times when it will have to be left in a public place for a while. I will be attaching full mudguards and a pannier rack which will live on the bike all year.

I have spotted a 2006 Trek 1000 SL in my size and I like the look of it. My Dad got a 2003? 1200 which has some extra bits on it for £250 at the LBS and other than it not fitting me it's impressive for the price.
This bike is advertised at £320 but the guy is open to some offers, I think this price is steep for a 7/8 yr old bike which retailed at around £500. The rear wheel is also not original but whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen, that said it's also wearing a set of Gatorskins and has the carbon forks and seatpost. I was thinking of offering him £250 because of the age etc. Does this seem reasonable? I'll be viewing the bike tomorrow.

Kies

£250 does seem a bit steep for a 7/8 year old bike. I have a Triban 3 red going if interested. PM me

Last edited:

Kies

I meant 250 for the 7/8 year old bike.
Mine will be too big i think, it's a 60cm frame suitable for a rider between 5ft 10 - 6ft 3"

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Yeah, that would be massive for me. Thanks for the offer though, I probably would have bought a T3 Red if they still did them. I'm going to view the bike now not tomorrow and I'll see what I think, I'll make an offer based on condition and feel when I ride it.

My sister in law is looking to sell her Trek 1400 which is also a 2006 I think. It is a 54cm, and as far as I know it is full 105 setup. i think she was looking for 300-350 pounds, but I am not sure. If you are interested I can get her to send more details and photos.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yeah, that would be massive for me. Thanks for the offer though, I probably would have bought a T3 Red if they still did them. I'm going to view the bike now not tomorrow and I'll see what I think, I'll make an offer based on condition and feel when I ride it.
Joe, they still had a couple of red T3s in mid-range sizes over at Surrey Quays a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth a phone call.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

My sister in law is looking to sell her Trek 1400 which is also a 2006 I think. It is a 54cm, and as far as I know it is full 105 setup. i think she was looking for 300-350 pounds, but I am not sure. If you are interested I can get her to send more details and photos.

That sounds good, is the bike in London though? I'd need a test ride.

@deptfordmarmoset I'll give them a call now thanks (Did think about making you an offer for the Boardman but it's too big.)

@deptfordmarasonet I'll give them a call now thanks (Did think about making you an offer for the Boardman but it's too big.)
No, I'm afraid it is in Birmingham.

Dirtlover2005

For reference I paid £150 for a similar bike - not sure if its an 06 or 07. It came with Gator Skins and non original saddle. Just had it serviced after a year's riding with new chain set, cassette and front rings and brake blocks for £187.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

For reference I paid £150 for a similar bike - not sure if its an 06 or 07. It came with Gator Skins and non original saddle. Just had it serviced after a year's riding with new chain set, cassette and front rings and brake blocks for £187.

Thanks, I'll give the bike a thorough lookover and if I'm going to have to dump money into it I'll lower my offer or walk.

Dirtlover2005

£45 of that was labour and I've had a good years riding so it was still worth paying to have the work done. I've just searched for 'Trek road bike' on ebay - there are few on there tgat may suit if you are prepared to travel.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

£45 of that was labour and I've had a good years riding so it was still worth paying to have the work done. I've just searched for 'Trek road bike' on ebay - there are few on there tgat may suit if you are prepared to travel.

I suppose those parts will last much longer than a year too.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

@deptfordmarmoset I'll give them a call now thanks (Did think about making you an offer for the Boardman but it's too big.)
Joe, I was going to Surrey Quays anyway so I looked in. Unfortunately, the only ones left on display were 48cm frames with 650cc wheels. Would have fitted you about 5 years ago, maybe....

Top Bottom