Bought this for Eroica but no idea what it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Bought this to restore or at least have restored for next years event. Seller thought it was a Crown of Wolverhampton. They did exist but very little info found. The parts seem retro enough. The only number on the frame is as per the photo. Not that interested in value, it wasn't especially expensive and will be repainted and I might even do the lugs myself. Just curious if it rings any bells on the site. Very light too. Malliard hubs with Weinmann rims (Belgian made). Shimano Altus front and rear. 10 speed, sedis chain. The saddle is my own. Has been handpainted badly and appears to have had cable guides added and painted later.
Any info appreciated. Gerry

Attachments

• DSC_0925.JPG
    DSC_0925.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0928.JPG
    DSC_0928.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 2017-08-15 21.30.53.jpg
    2017-08-15 21.30.53.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0930.JPG
    DSC_0930.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Don't know what it is but it's very nice

midlife

Guru
Lugs are Capella which were a Carlton only lug. They sold off their old stock back in the 80's and the odd frame pitches up with them but chances are it's Workshop.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice bike. @Spokesmann might be able to give you some more info.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Capella lugs were dropped form the Carlton range in the late 60s, they have cropped up on some US machines in the 70s. I'm intrigued to see what under the head badge...

Has the frame any sort of numbering ie on the LHS rear stay/drop out?

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Nothing just 150 under BB. Am having it stripped shortly. That head badge is just a transfer. May have been saved following a paint job. Not lacquered or anything and not applied particularly well. Will get it looking better and just leave it without decals. If anything comes up in the meantime I will report. Cheers Mike

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Yeah I saw that on that site too. Will probably never really know it's origins. Would like to be able to put some sort of decals on it but not likely to. If the lugs were available it's going to remain a mystery. Could have been a custom build but odd that there is only a three digit number on BB. It will be known as 'Gerrys Eroica Bike'. We have a dog with similar provenance!

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Two more pictures. The first is from underneath the steerer and there is a small spike coming from the front under the caliper bolt. I have never seen that before. Is it to prevent the caliper rotating somehow?
Second pic is the rear derailleur. This has two finger wheels? Not sure how else to describe them. Can be rotated by hand but not sure for what purpose.
DSC_0937.JPG
DSC_0939.JPG
They say Shimano Patent Pending. Again new to me. Might help with a rough date of assembly if nothing else. Cheers Gerry

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have an idea that those 'Crown' decals are completely erroneous. You used to be able to puck up stuff like that just to decorate your bike. On the other hand maybe nothing to do with bikes.

Top Bottom