Bouncing on rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HarSa43

Regular
Afternoon all, not new to cycling but new to riding on rollers (around 2months in) so have a question. Hope I am being dumb and it's a simple answer but let me explain.

If I have a lower cadence obviously my bike is more stable but when I get into 85-105 average my bikes is almost bouncing up and down on the rollers as I pedal harder. I don't experience any kind of bounce or weird feeling when riding my bike outdoors so pretty sure it's setup to my height etc rather well but do you have any advice or tips for me?
It got to the point where I was cycling so fast in a higher gear I actually backed off a little as I was worried it would jump forward out of the rollers but I think the answer could be my riding style simply needs work when on rollers? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated!

Could just be your riding style or that the saddle is slightly too low.
Do you ride those cadences outside ?

Adam4868

Guru
Definitely your riding style...sounds like your either in the wrong gear or your upper body isn't relaxed enough maybe ?

OP
OP
HarSa43

HarSa43

Regular
Could just be your riding style or that the saddle is slightly too low.
Do you ride those cadences outside ?

Usually yes with no issues such as an unstable, I've raised my saddle but it feels a little uncomfortable so had to lower it back to my normal.

Definitely your riding style...sounds like your either in the wrong gear or your upper body isn't relaxed enough maybe ?

Actually that might be right, the gear isn't the problem but never really thought about my upper body... Perhaps without realising I am worried about falling so riding a bit stiff.

CXRAndy

Guru
Post a video so we can all have a laugh

Sounds very funny 😁

Sounds like you are pedalling square and not a smooth circular technique.

Learn the smooth action at slower RPMS and build up.

I saw a very similar action from my relative, who was a terrible slow cadence rider. So has he went over 85rpm he was bouncing up and down on the saddle. I got him to do some cadence drills which helped him, but he never managed to get above 90 rpm

Last edited:
OP
OP
HarSa43

HarSa43

Regular
Post a video so we can all have a laugh

Sounds very funny 😁

Sounds like you are pedalling square and not a smooth circular technique.

Learn the smooth action at slower RPMS and build up.

I saw a very similar action from my relative, who was a terrible slow cadence rider. So has he went over 85rpm he was bouncing up and down on the saddle. I got him to do some cadence drills which helped him, but he never managed to get above 90 rpm

Haha, as soon as the RPM is high it's like I am riding over speed bumps, I am thankful for my shorts padding.

I just find it odd that it only happens indoors, perhaps overcompensating with balance or something.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are the rollers set up to the correct wheel base? Might be that the front roller is too far forward of the front axle? I'm no expert but I set mine to be just slightly in front of the axle, but not much.

presta

Guru
I've never tried rollers, but an obvious difference is that rollers have (nearly) no resistance. I remember trying to spin the pedals of my bike really fast with no chain on when I was a kid, and I couldn't do it because a similar sort of bouncing kept throwing my feet off the pedals.

OP
OP
HarSa43

HarSa43

Regular
Are the rollers set up to the correct wheel base? Might be that the front roller is too far forward of the front axle? I'm no expert but I set mine to be just slightly in front of the axle, but not much.

As far as I'm aware yes but I guess it's something I can check!

I think the major benefit of riding on rollers is that they really highlight inefficiencies in your peddling action.

I guess that any body movement other than your legs may contribute towards this bouncing and is also wasted energy which you should be trying to minimise.

I always feel a lot smoother out on the road after a few sessions on the rollers.

CXRAndy

Guru
I spent a winter learning higher cadence on my turbo. I used Trainer road.

My cadence drills were mainly around 90-105rpm but some exercises were to very high- my highest rpm was 175rpm

Adam4868

Guru
I spent a winter learning higher cadence on my turbo. I used Trainer road.

My cadence drills were mainly around 90-105rpm but some exercises were to very high- my highest rpm was 175rpm
No comparison between a turbo and rollers.You need to concentrate on rollers.😁

Top Bottom