Box Hill: Big screens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toby123

Hi, I am planning on watching the ORRs from somewhere on the loop but want to see the run-ins to the finish as well. I have read that there will be a big screen at Denbies Wine Estate, is this correct? However, this is not especially close to the loop, so I am wondering if there are plans for any others to be put up. Does anyone know?

Paul_L

Über Member
i too would be interested in the answer to this. I'm planning on trying to get Box Hill tickets when they go on sale later this week, but only if there is a big screen to watch the whole race.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi, I am planning on watching the ORRs from somewhere on the loop but want to see the run-ins to the finish as well. I have read that there will be a big screen at Denbies Wine Estate, is this correct? However, this is not especially close to the loop, so I am wondering if there are plans for any others to be put up. Does anyone know?

See here

d87francis

I looked into this the other evening as most of my cycling mad extended family are going to try and convene somewhere on the loop section preferably with some access to a TV. As we will have a large party with some less able, I don't think we can take them trekking miles to find the right spot.

I have ruled out driving as I think parking will be a nightmare, plus from where we are staying that weekend we can get the train to Dorking Deepdene quite easily. On Google maps walking from the train station to the Road Race Festival on Denbies Wine Estate looks fine, and then from there you can walk further North to Old London Road which I believe is the nearest part of the loop section to the big screen.

It looks quite walkable on googlemaps, however, I have two reservations. Firstly that nearly everyone will try and do the same thing as us (watch them do the loop 9 times on Old London Road and then leg it to the big screen at Denbies) which could turn what looks like an easy walk into a battle through a huge crowd. And the other thing that could put a spanner in the works is dependent on where they start the ticketed only section from - I would be grateful if anyone has any detailed information on the exact limits of the ticketed only zone of Box Hill? From what I can find it is just the Zig Zag Road section, however, to get to the looped section on Old London Road you have to go past the base of Zig Zag Road, leaving me wondering if we will get there to find we can't get through without tickets and face taking a huge detour.

My other plan is to use one of those small portable TVs as various family members hopefully still own one as we have used them on previous TdFs, only I don't know if Surrey have/will have done the digital switch over by then? (As I doubt I will get good enough 3g to watch it on my phone). The upside of doing this is we could get a roadside BBQ on the go if we're not rushing to the big screen, bit of a family tradition when watching cycling, if the Olympic Nazis don't make us put it out that is.

I'm pleased you've created a thread on this as I was just about to, and would appreciate your thoughts on what to do/pool information. I have to say I'm objecting to pay for tickets to watch a road race and hope that we can organise a decent day without them.

Only other thought is that where Zig Zag Road changes to Boxhill Road there is a Smith and Western restaurant right on a very good bit of the loop. I wonder if they will be doing a BBQ with a TV screen or if we could persuade them to get a CycleChat one organised? I think I'll call them tomorrow and shall post back, would be a good excuse for a big CycleChat get together.

rvw

Guru
SRW and I would certainly be interested in finding a free point on the loop which is not going to be a nightmare to get to. We have vague thoughts of watching the finish at the flat in Guildford, but if there's an appropriate sociable pub that would be great!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm going to cycle there from Epsom, to a point somewhere on the A24.
When I did the same for the test event last year, we had to persuade the marshalls that yes, the course was open to bikes until 10:00, it said so in the terms. I hope they are better informed this time.

400bhp

Guru
I looked into this the other evening as most of my cycling mad extended family are going to try and convene somewhere on the loop section preferably with some access to a TV. As we will have a large party with some less able, I don't think we can take them trekking miles to find the right spot.

I have ruled out driving as I think parking will be a nightmare, plus from where we are staying that weekend we can get the train to Dorking Deepdene quite easily. On Google maps walking from the train station to the Road Race Festival on Denbies Wine Estate looks fine, and then from there you can walk further North to Old London Road which I believe is the nearest part of the loop section to the big screen.

It looks quite walkable on googlemaps, however, I have two reservations. Firstly that nearly everyone will try and do the same thing as us (watch them do the loop 9 times on Old London Road and then leg it to the big screen at Denbies) which could turn what looks like an easy walk into a battle through a huge crowd. And the other thing that could put a spanner in the works is dependent on where they start the ticketed only section from - I would be grateful if anyone has any detailed information on the exact limits of the ticketed only zone of Box Hill? From what I can find it is just the Zig Zag Road section, however, to get to the looped section on Old London Road you have to go past the base of Zig Zag Road, leaving me wondering if we will get there to find we can't get through without tickets and face taking a huge detour.

My other plan is to use one of those small portable TVs as various family members hopefully still own one as we have used them on previous TdFs, only I don't know if Surrey have/will have done the digital switch over by then? (As I doubt I will get good enough 3g to watch it on my phone). The upside of doing this is we could get a roadside BBQ on the go if we're not rushing to the big screen, bit of a family tradition when watching cycling, if the Olympic Nazis don't make us put it out that is.

I'm pleased you've created a thread on this as I was just about to, and would appreciate your thoughts on what to do/pool information. I have to say I'm objecting to pay for tickets to watch a road race and hope that we can organise a decent day without them.

Only other thought is that where Zig Zag Road changes to Boxhill Road there is a Smith and Western restaurant right on a very good bit of the loop. I wonder if they will be doing a BBQ with a TV screen or if we could persuade them to get a CycleChat one organised? I think I'll call them tomorrow and shall post back, would be a good excuse for a big CycleChat get together.

Did you speak to the restaraunt?

400bhp

Guru
Another one posting interest here.

My sister lives next to Brooklands Road. I am thinking of staying at hers for the weekend. My plan would be to watch on Brooklands Road, then head over to Box Hill-potentially by bicycle.

However, my sister and her boyfriend don't cycle and they may wish to watch over near the box hill circuit.

If anyone has any more information on facilities etc then please post here.

400bhp

Guru
I'm going to cycle there from Epsom, to a point somewhere on the A24.
When I did the same for the test event last year, we had to persuade the marshalls that yes, the course was open to bikes until 10:00, it said so in the terms. I hope they are better informed this time.

Where are you thinking on the A24? Old London Rd?

I thought I'd post the route up here too, mainly as an aide memoire for myself.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Surrey has gone digital, I'm afraid - so unless you've got a portable digibox you'll not be able to use a portable TV.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Where are you thinking on the A24? Old London Rd?

I thought I'd post the route up here too, mainly as an aide memoire for myself.

Yes, I think so. Around there anyway. No idea what time I'm going to get there - too early and you'll be hanging around for hours. Too late and you won't get a good spot.

d87francis

Hi all,
I've just had a conversation with the manager of Smith & Western at the top of Box Hill. They are putting on a BBQ and outside bar. They say they have a couple of TVs which they can put the rest of the race on, and are even looking into hiring raked seating (I have suggested hiring a bigger TV would be better). They are open to the public, however, the roads will be closed from very early in the morning so you will have to walk to get there (obviously not via Zig Zag Road as that is for ticket holders only). I have put a link to a map with what I think is a feasible way to walk there from Dorking. The manager said in the fields below them there is a campsite for 20,000 people, so there is likely to be a well used path up to that part of the road.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m...0&ll=51.24416,-0.311608&spn=0.015233,0.042272

Does anyone live near Box Hill that would be able to do a reccy and see if it's possible to get there this way?

If it can be done I think I'll watch the race from here and the rest on the TV and then check out the Surrey Hills Road Race Festival before getting the train back.

Top Bottom