Box Hill: Big screens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want to see the actual bikes - not the bikes on a big TV - and I am not too keen on paying someone to stand next to their bit of road.

So I am assuming I could go along the route somewhere and if I go along the loop then they will go past quite a few times (better).

Does anyone know for sure if we can access the loop section and if so a good place. Dont want to get there and it be cordoned off.

Also if on the non loop bit, anyone know a good point (on a hill or good vantatge point or something).

d87francis

I want to see the actual bikes - not the bikes on a big TV - and I am not too keen on paying someone to stand next to their bit of road.

So I am assuming I could go along the route somewhere and if I go along the loop then they will go past quite a few times (better).

Does anyone know for sure if we can access the loop section and if so a good place. Dont want to get there and it be cordoned off.

Also if on the non loop bit, anyone know a good point (on a hill or good vantatge point or something).

As far as I know the only section of the loop closed for ticket holders only is the Zig Zag Road part of Boxhill.

caesar

Hi all,
I've just had a conversation with the manager of Smith & Western at the top of Box Hill. They are putting on a BBQ and outside bar. They say they have a couple of TVs which they can put the rest of the race on, and are even looking into hiring raked seating (I have suggested hiring a bigger TV would be better). They are open to the public, however, the roads will be closed from very early in the morning so you will have to walk to get there (obviously not via Zig Zag Road as that is for ticket holders only). I have put a link to a map with what I think is a feasible way to walk there from Dorking. The manager said in the fields below them there is a campsite for 20,000 people, so there is likely to be a well used path up to that part of the road.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m...0&ll=51.24416,-0.311608&spn=0.015233,0.042272

Does anyone live near Box Hill that would be able to do a reccy and see if it's possible to get there this way?

If it can be done I think I'll watch the race from here and the rest on the TV and then check out the Surrey Hills Road Race Festival before getting the train back.

Yes you can walk up that way, or go North along the A24 to the stepping stones across the Mole and then follow the North Downs Way up:

http://osm.org/go/eur0KWtg--

That side is very steep though, lots of steps.

caesar

I heard that there would be another two big screens on the loop, one at Givons Grove roundabout just south of Leatherhead, where they will be going v fast (http://www.strava.com/segments/a24-downhill-1276187) and turning left, and I think the other was in Headley somewhere. Can't find anything about them online though.

This shows the profile of the loop:

http://www.strava.com/segments/olympic-lap-789093

If you mouseover the profile it will show you where that point is on the map. As you can see there are not many slow sections other than the Zig Zag itself. Old London Road in Mickleham will slow them a little but it is short and narrow so you'd probably have to get there early!

caesar

Staple Lane (http://www.strava.com/segments/staple-lane-628859) is a draggy climb. Would also be good to watch them accelerate after the hairpin on the descent from there.

After that you could take Combe Lane, Green Dene, Crocknorth Rd and Ranmore Common Rd towards Denbies or Box. If you are on your bike, Green Dene is nice descent from there and Crocknorth is short but steep climb.

Ben Ebdon

We also have the ZICO box hill festival of cycling ( Ebdons.com/box-hill-festival-of-cycling ) which is FREE and in the loop just off the Old London Road. Fully licensed from 6am till 1am (from Friday evening onwards). Live music, a beer, big screens, etc.

400bhp

Guru
We also have the ZICO box hill festival of cycling ( Ebdons.com/box-hill-festival-of-cycling ) which is FREE and in the loop just off the Old London Road. Fully licensed from 6am till 1am (from Friday evening onwards). Live music, a beer, big screens, etc.

You don't reply to emails.

Ben Ebdon

You don't reply to emails.

Firstly - a million apologies if we've missed your email!! That will be my fault and I can only apologise. It's been hectic here, but I thought we were on top of them.. Obviously not!

I will go through again now and reply

Ben

d87francis

Having visited family over the last week, we are all agreed on getting the train to Dorking and finding somewhere close to Box Hill on the loop to watch it. Then either head over to the cycling festival at Denbies Wine Estate to watch the remainder or possibly the Smith and Western.

We're definitely taking a picnic, not sure whether or not to take a disposable BBQ (something we would always do for TdF) in case the Olympic Nasties get angry.

Top Bottom