Boxing day driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
What's it like? We've driven on Christmas Day (when the roads are very empty) but never on Boxing Day.

To fulfil family obligations at Christmas it looks as if we may need to drive from the South-East of England up to the Glasgow area on Boxing Day. My inclination is to leave early in the morning, to get past Preston before most people are up. But since neither of us are particularly morning people that's not ideal. If we had some confidence that the roads will be clearish later then we could save ourselves some hassle.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I should think Boxing Day will be fairly quiet everywhere, people still on holiday and celebrating.

Mrs M

Guru
Shopping/football traffic will be on the roads (up here anyway).
If you leave early enough should hopefully miss it.

Sandra6

Veteran
We've driven Cumbria to Rochdale a couple of times on boxing day without encountering heavy traffic. I doubt the Carlisle to Glasgow stretch will be overly busy if you make it before lunch.
I do think that people tend to be hungover early in the morning when driving though, so expect the unexpected from the idiot in front and the idiot behind.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Boxing Day is on a Monday this year so will probably be substantially more busy than last year in terms of traffic for shopping etc. In 2014 Boxing day was on a Friday but the 27th was a Saturday and the busy shopping day when trade returned. Last year was on a Sunday so a lot of retail not doing sales was a lot quieter than people thought it would be (not anyone with half a brain cell). The northern sections of the M1 if you go that way rather than the M6 will not be busy though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom