Boxing day meal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why do the English, at least members of my wife's family, always overcook roast beef and don't put garlic in it? Every time they cook beef, I have to put up with it being cremated, completely tasteless and so chewy! :angry:
I think I will offer to cook it next time .;)

Can't go wrong with fried bubble and squeak with cold left-over chicken (I prefer it to turkey) bread sauce, stuffing and chutney.

And if you're fortunate enough to have any left-over pudding (I never am) then that cold, with the cream, brandy butter and custard. :hungry:

If I was going to cook roast beef, I'd do it slowly in a slow cooker, making it a tender and tasty dinner. Don't think I'd add garlic to it: horse radish does the trick.

TVC

We have fish pie

Who in their right mind would put garlic with roast beef? OK it's a sin to cremate it, but mustard is the only acceptable addition to a lump of beef before it goes in the oven.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sausage, bacon, black pudding, fried mushrooms, fried egg, homemade chips and bread and butter.

Mrs Vernon and the boys will have the above plus baked beans and brown sauce and tomato sauce.

vickster

Legendary Member
The hospitality was mine as it is in my house. In any case, being retired now, I qualify to be a grumpy old man.
Why weren't you cooking then if they don't do it to your exacting standards? Your use of the word always doesn't indicate this was a one off

My mum is English, does a mean roast beef and doesn't use garlic (which would be eww). I also like my beef cooked to some degree which the French don't seem to comprehend ;)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bubble and squeek here in a short while..no beef..gammon with ours

garlic with roast beef? Ffs i really dont get that..horse radish not garlic

Postmanhat

Sausages in pitta bread tonight, with raw onion, tomatoes and lettuce. It's the only time I eat anything vaguely approximating a salad.

Top Bottom