Boxing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Anyone having a flutter on the Hall v Bjornnson fight?

The Beast seems to just be edging opinion and the odds, but The Mountain must surely present a bit of a challenge, and word is that he's taking the training extremely seriously.

I had no idea this was happening, but I love WSM so purely for that reason I'm interested.

My take would be that Hafthor has the reach but Eddie is quicker and will hammer his body, does that seem reasonable?

Drago

Legendary Member
Pretty much, although recent images of The Mountain have shown him having dropped a shedload of weight and looking positively ripped. It would surprised me not if hes agile beyond expectation, particularly as hes known already to move pretty quick for such a big chap.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m not a fan of these “celebrity” fights.
It’s a bit like watching a celebrity golf match or charity football match.
If they are serious about boxing then start at the bottom like everyone else. Don’t use it as a quick cash cow. The same goes for the YouTubers.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I thought the pictures of Fury a couple of months out from his Wilder fight showed him looking less than athletic. I assume he's still got time to get into world heavyweight shape?

Drago

Legendary Member
Fury has never been an especially impressive phyisical athlete, but he has excellent reach, a hammer punch, and excellent ringcraft. It's only his stamina that lacks a little.

Drago

Legendary Member
I’m not a fan of these “celebrity” fights.
It’s a bit like watching a celebrity golf match or charity football match.
If they are serious about boxing then start at the bottom like everyone else. Don’t use it as a quick cash cow. The same goes for the YouTubers.
I would generally agree with that sentiment. However, this is being billed as the heaviest heavyweight fight of all time, and seeing 2 of the strongest men the world has evermseen knocking lumps out of each other is going to be an interesting spectacle, if not an especially sporting one. Rumours are they're each pocketing a 7 figure fee for thism and I know my scruples would go right out the window for that kind of lolly.

Theres a bit of genuine animosity between these two. Bjornsson made vague remarks about 'cheating'at WSM, which didn't go down well with Hall. Then Hall became the first man to deadlift 500kg and nearly killed himself doing it (it's well worth seeking out the video for that one), whereupon the Mountain goes and does 501kg just to spite him, and makes it look easy (that's well worth watching as well). I don't think they absolutely hate one another, but theres been a few words and some needling between the pair over the last few years, hopefully sufficient disconent for them each to put up a convincing fight.

Venod

Eh up
Celebtity boxing, not for me thanks.

I am not a big fan of normal boxing, my dad was a huge boxing fan and one of the grandsons has done some, mainly as a fitness regime for his rugby, but a lot of the time professional bouts are just a money fest for the promotors, but who can blame the contestant's for making a bob or two out of it.

Olympic and amateur bouts without all the hype are a sometimes a better watch.

The best thing to come out of the professional boxing scene is The Hurricane by Dylan.

Which gives me a chance to post this excellent cover version.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tF7n4EQzA&ab_channel=newrisingsunbenewrisingsunbe

Tom...

Veteran
Fury has never been an especially impressive phyisical athlete, but he has excellent reach, a hammer punch, and excellent ringcraft. It's only his stamina that lacks a little.

Fury has more stamina than the vast majority of heavyweights, if not the highest level of stamina.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Fury has more stamina than the vast majority of heavyweights, if not the highest level of stamina.
And carrying the extra flab can be beneficial as he hasn’t totally drained himself in the gym to meet a weight goal. So he has power and freshness.

It’s what makes heavyweights such an interesting division as you get huge disparities between fighters. Sometimes 4 stone differences, where as the lower weights bands are just 6 pound. (Which is a good night out for me)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anyone else joined me and paid £25 to watch tonight’s boxing?

So far we’ve had a sickening knockout and a terrible judging decision.

Hoping for better later.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anyone else joined me and paid £25 to watch tonight’s boxing?

So far we’ve had a sickening knockout and a terrible judging decision.

Hoping for better later.

Half listening to Joshua on the radio.

Doesn't sound over clever from his point of view so far, the commentators reckon he might have lost all of the first four rounds.

carpiste

Guru
Joshua was lucky not to go down in the last. He knew he had lost and couldn`t even stand up off his stool! I thought it was a clear 5 round margin. SIL said he`ll be hoping for a deal with Fury.....
.... I think the best he can hope for is Dylian White!

Top Bottom