Boxing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I understand there are some fans of fisticuffs on here, so this is a general thread for it.

Personally I am not a fan, but chat in the office today has been about a couple of YouTubers having a rematch as professionals, having drawn as amateurs a year ago. To me, this isn't really much more than a publicity stunt, which follows Conor McGregor fighting Pacquiao and Tyson Fury wrestling Braun Strowman (which is one of the most glorious examples of life imitating art).

Is boxing really in that bad a way that it needs to rely on these sort of stunts? Or am I merely displaying my ignorance and it's still as big a draw as ever?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Too many different titles have robbed it of the appeal it had when there was just one undisputed world champion. The sport bores me personally, but I do understand why people like it and I have great admiration for the fighters themselves. I'd rather climb the Ventoux on a shopping bike than spend ten rounds getting punched in the face.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Too many different titles have robbed it of the appeal it had when there was just one undisputed world champion. The sport bores me personally, but I do understand why people like it and I have great admiration for the fighters themselves. I'd rather climb the Ventoux on a shopping bike than spend ten rounds getting punched in the face.

Excellent analogy, and I agree about the belts too, overcomplicates a very simple pursuit.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I like boxing but it is too splintered, with too many boxers protecting their undefeated legacy.
It is a sport like no other, boxers are self employed and have to self promote themselves so they are all trying to make quick money with as few fights as possible.
Britain has some great boxers at the moment.
The YouTube fight is a new low.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I joined the Army and got the the training cadre the PTIs took one look at me (tall and heavy) and, bang! I was on the regimental boxing team. Problem is, I was crap at it. Sure, when I occasionally landed a punch they damn sure knew about it, but I have the reactions of a sloth and the nervous system of a stegosaurus, so didn't come close to winning any of my 3 bouts.

My oldest daughter is a black belt in TKD, Karate and Muay Thai, and she does a spot of white collar boxing for fun and a few shekels. She's 6'1" and has all the speed and reaction that I absolutely don't have. She's never lost a bout. She owns a gents hairdressers and a lot of her regulars bet on her fights.

I'm not an avid follower of boxing, but I am looking forward to Ruiz slapping Joshua good and proper a second time.

I am an avid follower of the Rocky films and the legend and lore that has been built aroud them. Was any real life boxer cockier than Apollo Creed, or more intense than Clubber Lang?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I always loved boxing, probably best remember cheering on Jim Watt back in the day then Barry Mcguigan before the big hitters of the heavy weights took over the world with Tyson and our own Frank Bruno. My interest was admittedly already on the wane, but a young guy I knew through work was making a name for himself and I was interested again as he won fight after fight. I did have some concerns as he explained he was really good at getting down to his weight target but I ignored it and then the news came through he had lost his fight for life after a televised fight. I don't think I've watched a fight since. Probably time to call time on the whole sport, if I'm honest.

Drago

Legendary Member
I always loved boxing, probably best remember cheering on Jim Watt back in the day then Barry Mcguigan before the big hitters of the heavy weights took over the world with Tyson and our own Frank Bruno. My interest was admittedly already on the wane, but a young guy I knew through work was making a name for himself and I was interested again as he won fight after fight. I did have some concerns as he explained he was really good at getting down to his weight target but I ignored it and then the news came through he had lost his fight for life after a televised fight. I don't think I've watched a fight since. Probably time to call time on the whole sport, if I'm honest.
I remember sitting up to watch Tyson v Bruno. Up until then Tyson had been a monster, an invulnerable force of nature. Bruno was clearly never up to the job, lighter built, lacking the mental fortitude, but his reach and punch at least gave him some small chance. Was it round 2(?) where Bruno landed a ferocious right on Tyson and visibly dazed him? While Tyson won convincingly that showed for the first time that he wasn't necessarily unstoppable. Afterwards Tyson admitted that moment was the first time he'd been scared in the ring, said it felt like he'd been hit by a freight train.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
And that was the moment Harry Carpenter abandoned any pretence of impartiality, IIRC, as Bruno stepped back, not forwards to "hit him again Frank", as Harry implored.

Slick

Guru
I remember sitting up to watch Tyson v Bruno. Up until then Tyson had been a monster, an invulnerable force of nature. Bruno was clearly never up to the job, lighter built, lacking the mental fortitude, but his reach and punch at least gave him some small chance. Was it round 2(?) where Bruno landed a ferocious right on Tyson and visibly dazed him? While Tyson won convincingly that showed for the first time that he wasn't necessarily unstoppable. Afterwards Tyson admitted that moment was the first time he'd been scared in the ring, said it felt like he'd been hit by a freight train.
Remember it well. A golden era for heavy weights.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When I joined the Army and got the the training cadre the PTIs took one look at me (tall and heavy) and, bang! I was on the regimental boxing team. Problem is, I was crap at it. Sure, when I occasionally landed a punch they damn sure knew about it, but I have the reactions of a sloth and the nervous system of a stegosaurus, so didn't come close to winning any of my 3 bouts.

My oldest daughter is a black belt in TKD, Karate and Muay Thai, and she does a spot of white collar boxing for fun and a few shekels. She's 6'1" and has all the speed and reaction that I absolutely don't have. She's never lost a bout. She owns a gents hairdressers and a lot of her regulars bet on her fights.

I'm not an avid follower of boxing, but I am looking forward to Ruiz slapping Joshua good and proper a second time.

I am an avid follower of the Rocky films and the legend and lore that has been built aroud them. Was any real life boxer cockier than Apollo Creed, or more intense than Clubber Lang?
Not a boxer ex martial artist devotee, started with lau gar kung fu and the head of the style was at a competition spotted me an told my teacher i had fast hands , when i got to the usual black sash i found a wing chun club and chaanged to that style as it suited me more , had to pack up when i farked my shoulder years back along with shift work and kids meant i couldnt train enough to make it worthwhile , thats when cycling came back .

Drago

Legendary Member
I did TKD myself in later life, but my poor reactions still didnt help. I binned that off after a fight in Sheffield - the problem with being a heavyweight is you could be up against some enormous bloke, and so it happened. My 6'4" height and 265lbs frame was dwarfed by this young lad who was put together like Michael Clarke Duncan but even taller, and I got so badly bruised I could hardly walk the next day. That's when I quit, aged about 34.

stephec

Legendary Member
I remember that, Bruno seemed to step back and think, 'oh what have I done?' instead of steaming in to finish Tyson off.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Anybody looking forward to Ruiz Joshua II?

Having watched the first fight several times im struggling to see a scenario where Joshua wins. Ruiz was able to launch combos at close range but also starting from distance and AJ just doesnt have the side to side movement to dodge enough of them, whereas Ruiz seemed to walk through all AJs good shots apart from the one he didnt see. The only way I can see an AJ win, is if the rumours were true about being concussed in sparring in the lead up to fight one.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anybody looking forward to Ruiz Joshua II?

Having watched the first fight several times im struggling to see a scenario where Joshua wins. Ruiz was able to launch combos at close range but also starting from distance and AJ just doesnt have the side to side movement to dodge enough of them, whereas Ruiz seemed to walk through all AJs good shots apart from the one he didnt see. The only way I can see an AJ win, is if the rumours were true about being concussed in sparring in the lead up to fight one.
I don’t think I’ll pay to watch it. I will listen on the radio if it’s before midnight.
His best chance as I see it is if AJ comes out swinging and takes him out early.
If if goes the distance he probably loses.
AJ was unbeatable 6 months ago. He can’t suddenly be an average boxer. He won Olympic gold as an amateur.

Top Bottom