boy was I lucky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justAl

Coming to work this morning. A lorry coming the other way flicks a stone out, I heard it first and then saw it flying through the air at about 2 - 3 feet, landing on the verge just 6ft infront of me. this "stone" was the size of tennis ball. Boy was I lucky!

Cab

Could have been very nasty!

Was there a lot of debris or just that stone? If there was a fair bit then I'd get on the phone to the local council and tell them to come and sort it, otherwise someones precious windscreen could get scratched (oh, and someone could get killed).

OP
OP
J

justAl

It was just the one I think, probably fell from a tractor. There's a lot about at the mo.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Glad your ok, though it does give a shock to the system when something like that happens! :blush:

Lorrys that are meant to obey by regulations, of not over filling a lorry with whatever content(s) always do it. Its the people on the road that get the brunt of it.

Plax

Guru
Ouch, I've had a small chipping hit me and that jolly well hurt. Dread to think what a tennis ball sized stone could have done!

redjedi

Über Member
I haven't had anything fly at me yet, but I have sent a couple of stones flying.
Once when filtering down a hill, I heard a loud bang as I went passed a car. I had felt the back wheel go over a stone, but didn't realise a stone could hit that hard.

Another time a stone flew, across the pavement and hit a large sign about 6 feet off the ground, again with a very loud bang. I was lucky as this road goes past a station and there are quite a lot of peds. The stone would have been travelling at head height.

I've since been a lot more careful when I see debris on the road.

I've seen what a flying stone can do to a windscreen first hand ;)

I've always got glasses on for this very reason, although I don't think there is much that would protect against a tennis ball sized stone! Luckily this type of incident (tennis ball sized!) is rare.

02GF74

Über Member
cannondale boy said:
Lorrys that are meant to obey by regulations, of not over filling a lorry with whatever content(s) always do it. Its the people on the road that get the brunt of it.

and they should have a net/mesh cover to stop objects falling out. you should have take the reg. number and reported it but this is not the first thing that goes through you mind....

Top Bottom