Brace of British

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Two British Bikes from different eras, which is your favorite?

2008 Raleigh U6 Pro. 105 10sp Alu-Carbon triple butted.

1990s Claud Butler Strada. Exage 300EX 7sp Reynolds Cr-Mo lugged double butted seamless.

Attachments

• British.jpg
    British.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 290

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Two British Bikes from different eras, which is your favorite?

2008 Raleigh U6 Pro. 105 10sp Alu-Carbon triple butted.

1990s Claud Butler Strada. Exage 300EX 7sp Reynolds Cr-Mo lugged double butted seamless.

Has to be the bottom one, top one is just too new for me.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Top one, I think. Although the spoke pattern is a bit "brave". The bottom one is ok but chainset looks like it's not meant to go on that bike, for some reason. :smile:

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Top one, I think. Although the spoke pattern is a bit "brave". The bottom one is ok but chainset looks like it's not meant to go on that bike, for some reason. :smile:

I will probably change the chainset to a Shimano 2200 or 2300 8 speed compact when funds allow. The 42/52 Sakae is a bit kak.

The bike already has a 7 speed cassette on a freehub and 130mm dropouts so the upgrade should be fairly easy, also the downtube shifter will be gone.

Goldie

Über Member
I will probably change the chainset to a Shimano 2200 or 2300 8 speed compact when funds allow. The 42/52 Sakae is a bit kak.

The bike already has a 7 speed cassette on a freehub and 130mm dropouts so the upgrade should be fairly easy, also the downtube shifter will be gone.

I like the Raleigh a lot, but with its skinny steel tubes and dinky brake levers, the Claud is a lot more graceful. How do they compare weight-wise?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the top one, although both are about as british as the king of siam…

claud butler is a brand that's been used for by a variety of manufacturers; some made great bikes (butler himself, and holdsworthy) before the brand got sold on several times and these days resides on reasonably priced aluminium bikes from taiwan that are a million miles away from the creations from the artisan workshop of the great man himself prior to 1956.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
The CB is 'Handbuilt in England' it says that on the top tube in big letters next to the model.

It weights about 12kg, the Raleigh is about 10kg

raindog

er.....
The CB is 'Handbuilt in England' it says that on the top tube in big letters next to the model.

It weights about 12kg, the Raleigh is about 10kg
That seems heavy. My Italian steel weighs 10kg.
Nice looking bikes by the way.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
hand-built can just mean that the components were put together in britain. i've got a mtb that says the same although all the components are shimano and the frame is made in taiwan.

i've no idea how little of the build has to be in britain, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was as little as turning the bars and putting the pedals on.

nice pair of bikes though.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's worth noting Toyota, Honda and Nissan all build cars in Britain, whereas the British built mini is actually made from German BMW parts.

It's only the main tubes on the CB that are Reynolds double butted, the stays and forks are not specified, but I assume they're cr-mo. The steel chainrings and handlebars add weight.

Top Bottom