Brackets for custom rear lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Making custom rear lights for the bike using proper LEDs... going to mount 2 on each stay and 2 on the post.

Anyone know of some good and small brackets, that are available as spares, that would suit this?

I don't expect to remove them much, but don't want to use a screwdriver to remove them when I do. Been thinking of cutting a rubber block and mounting that on it some how, zip ties is the first thought although defeats the purpose of "no screwdriver", or maybe a rubber loop like the Lupine Tesla and MagicShine P7 type lights...

Ideas?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Where are you?
You are welcome to come and raid my box of assorted bracketry.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Well too far, but grateful for the offer! ;)

I think i'm going to try rubber wedge route, I won't be able to change the angle but it should be much much smaller than a 2 piece bracket set.

Still welcome any suggestions, even on brackets.

battered

Guru
In my local Poundland there are some cheap and (to be honest not unduly) nasty bike light sets that come with reasonable plastic clip in brackets. Would these be any use?

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Aye, will have a look at the cheapest in pound shops and supermarkets, never know... might even find a good light as a donor housing for my LED, although I already have a plan which is pretty small.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I use Fenix swivel mounts on both seat stays with torches fixed in place (small P60 hosts and bespoke Osram Diamond Dragon LEDs in red - 160 lumens each at the emitter).

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I know the ones you mean, and I have loads of the "non adjustable" cheapy type, which is actually a good idea, bit bigger than I need but a lot of rubber there, could slice one in half and make two even!

My LEDs run at around 90L and im going to run 6 or 5. Though where did you source them LEDs? (just the led, don't need a drop in unit).

Origamist

Legendary Member
drsquirrel said:
I know the ones you mean, and I have loads of the "non adjustable" cheapy type, which is actually a good idea, bit bigger than I need but a lot of rubber there, could slice one in half and make two even!

My LEDs run at around 90L and im going to run 6 or 5. Though where did you source them LEDs? (just the led, don't need a drop in unit).

I got them from CandlePowerForums. A user called "Nailbender" makes the drop-ins - not sure if he sells the emitter only. I like the colour they produce as they are a deep red - as opposed to the orange-red that you often see.

You can get cheaper, less powerful stuff from DX, but the quality is hit and miss.

I was thinking about a SST-90 in red - but it's stupid powerful and overkill, IMO.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

SST-90 even defused in a giant difuser might be a bit crazy. I will be building up one of these though for a front light ;)

I got a batch of RED LEDs from DX so I could pick the "best", though they're all perfect, wouldn't say a deep red, but as red as red is.

A drop-in would be around 4x the size of what I want to build :hello:

I've just found them, and he does a SST-90 drop in...! Can't imagine how long that's going to last in my 1x18650 host. Too bad they're in the US, will give them a shout though.

Top Bottom