Bradford-Halifax Tunnel Cycleway Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Calderdale Council Enviroment and Planning Councillors(Collins & Sutherland) have both said that the cost of re-opening & maintaining the route would be too expensive. Earlier this year. As a result they can't see the council backing the scheme.

Meanwhile in the press, Collins is fully supporting it.

The proposed re-opening of Box Hill and the Wheatley Viaduct have been dropped. They are however considering the route from Halifax via Ovenden to Queensbury.

They are however considering the route from Halifax via Ovenden to Queensbury.

Would that use Windy Bank Lane :whistle:

If I remember rightly those lakes were made without planning permission possibly sometime in the 90's as I'm pretty sure I can remember the house owner who constructed them mounting a petition locally to contest council demands to drain and make good , I assume it worked as I see it's now a commercial coarse fishing complex even though I can recall the main thrust of the original owners argument was that it would be a nature reserve for the people of Queensbury :rolleyes:

classic33

Leg End Member
If I remember rightly those lakes were made without planning permission possibly sometime in the 90's as I'm pretty sure I can remember the house owner who constructed them mounting a petition locally to contest council demands to drain and make good , I assume it worked as I see it's now a commercial coarse fishing complex even though I can recall the main thrust of the original owners argument was that it would be a nature reserve for the people of Queensbury :rolleyes:
Deputy Leader of Calderdale Council is backing the plans to keep the "lakes" in place. The Ward councillours have withdrawn from the plans they put forward to extend the route through Box Hill Tunnel & over Box Hill Viaduct, taking you to Pellon.

"The money just isn't there for such work"

classic33

Leg End Member
Yet they still throw millions into road widening schemes to get more cars into the town centre :rolleyes: They should look over the hill at Bradford if they want to see what happens when you slavishly pander to the motor car :sad:
Same Chief Executive responsible, Owen Williams.

Oh dear , that probably explains the cinema complex then :whistle: and no doubt a shopping centre will be going up on the site of the old library to be served by the new ring road that is probably in the pipeline and all this in the name of bringing life back to the town centre , though it did surprise me when they refurbished the Piece Hall :thumbsup: listed building and European grant perchance ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh dear , that probably explains the cinema complex then :whistle: and no doubt a shopping centre will be going up on the site of the old library to be served by the new ring road that is probably in the pipeline and all this in the name of bringing life back to the town centre , though it did surprise me when they refurbished the Piece Hall :thumbsup: listed building and European grant perchance ?
Traffic will be leaving town via Charlestown Road, over the flyover. The carpark was sold off, the hotel is up for sale, with only four places open in the Plaza.

The Piece Hall was sold to a private group.

The cycling tsar, American, employed by the council hasn't ridden a bike on-road. And hasn't ridden a bike since she moved over here.

One councillour has an idea of what "bike boxes" are. Fifty have no idea.

The old library and council offices are being converted to a 6th form college, due to open in September. They're running a bit behind.

AMCO-Giffen started work in the tunnel on Monday 1st October in advance of that consent. They are undertaking the installation of steel strengthening arches (known as RamArch) below several shafts. These are extensive works, expected to take around ten weeks and with an estimated value of £550,000. The arches are being installed on the presumption of planning consent being granted for abandonment (they would not be installed otherwise) and will remain in place throughout the full programme of future works, should they go ahead. The arches cannot be removed after the tunnel has been infilled and can therefore be regarded as an integral part of the permanent abandonment scheme

Hmmmmm on the one hand it says the RamArch is being installed "on the presumption of planning consent being granted for abandonment" and claims they would not be installed otherwise and on the other hand it says that they will stay in place "throughout the full program of future works should they go ahead" ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Bradford council were unaware of any planned backfilling, when I spoke with them today.

The tunnel seems to have become well talked about today.

Top Bottom