Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Do you mean THIS Bradley Wiggins riding past some cars yesterday (or is that hand covering an OOOPS!):

article-2182103-1453ECFF000005DC-858_634x443.jpg

If linking to a copyright image is not permitted Mods - please remove it and let folks find this and more dangerous riding photos here by a cycling icon:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...ics-Bradley-Wiggins-wins-time-trial-gold.html

Anyway well done BW. I'll forgive you anything atm.

This is what I feel too.
I agree that something needs to be done to reduce motor vehicle collisions with other road users.

I have no problem with legislation for all motor vehicles to be covered in an inch of polystyrene foam to protect any pedestrians or cyclists they hit ;)

Sorry much respect to Mr Wiggins for his wins but wearing a helmet should be a personal choice. It is nothing like not smoking or wearing a seat belt which pretty much have proven benefits, wearing a helmet is not proven to benefit the wearer.

ohnovino

Large Member
When the picture was published of Brad riding along the Champs-Elysees with his son, I was expecting some parts of the media to respond with "irresonsible cyclist makes son ride without helmet" and I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't. Which makes his latest statement all the more difficult to understand.

Kizibu

..... epidemiological studies comparing the injury rates between helmetted and bare headed cyclists have shown that there is no difference between the two groups. In other words, evidence for helmets providing protection is lacking.

Do you have a reference for or link to to that research?

tyred

Legendary Member
Much as I have every respect for his sporting achievements, does he mix it with traffic on busy urban routes while going about his business on a day to day basis as most real world cyclists do or does he just concentrate on his training rides?

The two things are very different imo.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Pretty sure I saw Wiggo being filmed after the TdF riding up a country lane towards the unexpected Camera crew with his helmet hanging off the drops..

Pretty sure I saw Wiggo being filmed after the TdF riding up a country lane towards the unexpected Camera crew with his helmet hanging off the drops..

Im pretty sure that Ive been seen cycling to Tesco without my helmet- its not against the law - I watched the interview - unscripted answer to a question of the "moment" - it is his opinion - honestly given - and was an overview rather than a response to the specific incident - to me a lot of what he said makes some sense despite his delivery - in fact more so than much of what i read on here where people have time to formulate their responses - the whole question of making cycling safer is complex and far beyond some of the tart comments ive read above and elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom