Brake bleeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
I used to have shimano slx and bought the funnel, already had a syringe and pipe.

Now ive got tektro draco and the funnel doesn't fit!

Any ideas or videos out there how i can bleed without having to buy another kit?

Simple silicone hose and pharmacy syringes.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah, i didn't really want to buy a whole kit as i have a syringe and tube for the caliper end.
All i really need is a screw with a hollow hole through the middle for the reservoir

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well i ended up drilling a 3mm hole through a m6 bolt and hacksawing the head off then connecting a tube to the hollow thread, worked a treat.

Ive still got a question though, i had the same problem on my last bike.
When i connect the tube to the nipple on the caliper then loosen the nipple slightly its always leaks, any ideas why?

I do exactly what they do on you tube but it always gets messy and the discs and pads end up having to be washed off in hot water!

Kajjal

Guru
Is it possible how to remove the calipers for cleaning without fluid leaking everywhere?

Normally you can just unscrew the mounting bolts but not the hose to make cleaning easier. I normally just remove the wheel to get better access and then take out the pads but I do have a bike stand.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why are you bleeding the brakes? IME it is only necessary to bleed the brakes after the system has been opened for a repair of some kind. Changing the pads or 'cleaning' things doesn't require the system to be bled.
Shimano hydraulic brakes are best left alone if they are working correctly or you risk making the not work correctly.....

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
They're tektro brakes

The bike has been kept outside for a couple of months so everything's a bit grubby and a touch of rust

I bled the rear brake yesterday and I'm glad I did with the amount of junk that came out!

When I took the pads out there was some rust marks on the back so I thought I could give it a clean

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I put new pads in today and the brakes felt soft after, no really soft but the dont bite or the bike dont stop very well, ive tried bleeding the brakes again well the rear anyway, tje one with new pads and its still the same.

Ive pushed aload of oil through the system just cant get it to bite well, best i get is when i put a funnel on the res and tap untill bubbles stop then soon as i put screw back in res its slightly soft again

Last edited:
Top Bottom