Brake block question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andsaw

Should i change the blocks when the cut outs reach the flattest part of the block, and should one side wear down more than the other and if not what's the problem.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes you should...and one side wearing more than the other suggests that the brakes were not balanced correctly. If you look at the brake in the off position both blocks should be an equal distance from the rim. Then when you use the brake lever both blocks should move equally. What type of brakes are they.?

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

There the side pull type and i have had them equal distances when i remember, bikes a T3, is that what causes the grinding noise when the blocks hit the flat part.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The Triban has dual pivot brakes and there is a small balancing adjuster on one of the arms to ensure they actuate equally. Most people on this site changed the oem brake pads soon after buying their Triban as they were not particularly good

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Certainly change when the grooves go, but be aware they are getting low as they can vanish quite quickly in wet weather, so order spares. Many also have a wear line. Noise will be from grit or aluminium embedded in blocks, always worth picking them out on a regular basis.

Top Bottom