Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
My thought is always not to be cheap on safety. The extra 10gbp that you can spend on brake blocks go a long way. You won't regret it when they save your life if a car pulls in front of you.

fossala

Guru
Swissstop Flash Pro Green is what I use, they cost around 40gbp to get the holdings and pads, then around 20gbp each time for the pads. Mine last around 6 months of very heavy use in all weathers, don't think it's too much to spend on stopping when people spend way more on making their bike 100g lighter.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Swissstop Flash Pro Green is what I use, they cost around 40gbp to get the holdings and pads, then around 20gbp each time for the pads. Mine last around 6 months of very heavy use in all weathers, don't think it's too much to spend on stopping when people spend way more on making their bike 100g lighter.
Wow:eek: forty quid, I understand what you are saying but i doubt wifey will. Hmm, gonna have to have a think on that. Many thanks anyway.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have some Swissstop pads, they came with the wheels, but they are expensive and really, I doubt they justify their cost, but I will use these with these wheels as they are the manufacturer recommended and only ever get used in a race anyway, so will last ages.

For more realistic priced options, Koolstop are good, Clarks is usually well regarded and Discobrakes sell a lot of decent stuff.

Reactions: gaz

BSRU

A Human Being
I use Koolstops and Swissstops, the main difference seems to be that Koolstops produce far more gunk which makes the wheels/tyres dirtier.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've been getting pads for my road bikes from Discobrakes recently.
Not quite as powerful as Koolstop Salmons in the wet, but plenty enough for me.
They wear out a bit quicker but given the price differential I can afford to replace them many many times before the total cost comes up to Koolstop levels.
I have to say their cartridges are a bit naff, but the pads are fine.
I've not tried their V-brake or canti pads yet.

geo

Koolstop Salmons for me too, very good and whilst not cheap I dont think they are over expensive for their stopping quality

okeydokey79

i recently brought the koolstop salmon going off reccomendations off here and i dont think that £9 was that expensive for the extra stopping power they have given me in the wet(only fitted to front as back ones were still ok and use front more than back) + if your a member of british cycling getting them at wiggle through the BC website saves a little more^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'd go for Koolstops too, they're a lot better than cheap pads and aren't really much more expensive at just over a tenner a pair. :smile:

Top Bottom