brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi could some one tell me please if these are v or cantilever brakes
12724173743_2ba02d99c7_c.jpg

also when it comes to new blocks does it matter. Then finally are them ones where you just replace the inserts any good
Thank you

They're neither, they're caliper brakes.

The type of blocks in there now are made of cheese.

Get some Swisstop Green pads or some Koolstop Salmon ones.

You will have to initially buy complete items, (brake block s in their carriers), but it's worth it as they last better and more importantly they work far better as well.

oldroadman

Veteran
Badly adjusted dual pivot type - at least it looks like it under all the crud. Correct comment about the block/pad rubbing the tyre, this is not good and has potential explosive results! Get some decent pads and shoes, and adjust correctly - if this is a problem find a competent person to sort it out and note the positioning. Beware of pads that "last forever and work well", they may be scraping the rim face away very quickly. Hardly value for money is new rims are needed too frequently! Pads are MEANT to wear out steadily, so consider carefully before buying. Think about what happens with cars, replacement pads are a routine item, as are discs eventually. Much better to wear softish pads and maintain rim imtegrity, a far cheaper and safer option.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
When your replacements arrive and you are fitting them, tuck a bit of thin cardboard (cereal packet thickness) between the rear of the pad and the rim, pull the brake lever on while adjusting the block so it is in contact with the rim but not overhanging it or touching the tyre. Now squeeze the brake lever tight ensuring the cardboard is still trapped and the brake block is still correctly lined up - then gently tighten the nut to secure the block in place. (The cardboard makes the brake block "toe in" so the front of the block contacts the rim first - which can stop brakes squealing.

OP
OP
captainhastings
When your replacements arrive and you are fitting them, tuck a bit of thin cardboard (cereal packet thickness) between the rear of the pad and the rim, pull the brake lever on while adjusting the block so it is in contact with the rim but not overhanging it or touching the tyre. Now squeeze the brake lever tight ensuring the cardboard is still trapped and the brake block is still correctly lined up - then gently tighten the nut to secure the block in place. (The cardboard makes the brake block "toe in" so the front of the block contacts the rim first - which can stop brakes squealing.

excellent thank you tips like that I need

LutherB

Can you guys give me some advice too please? How can I tell if my brake pads need replacing? Is there some mark on the pad that acts as a guide - mine are like this:

P453.jpg

LutherB

If they are still there, there's still some life. Asthey start getting shallow its an indication they are on the way out and its best to have replacements ready or know where you can get them fast.

Will do - i took my bike in for a service yesterday and was told all the brake blocks needed replacing; i do trust the LBS but now know to check for these thing myself before i take it in so as to not get shocked by 'this needs doing, that needs replacing' when i take it in next time!

Top Bottom