Brake blocks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rustyroger

I am upgrading my wheels to alloy rims (27" x 1 1/4"). The brake blocks I have at present on my steel rims (cantilever style brakes) work very well, althoughthe front brakes squeal like a stuck pig. Do I need different blocks for alloy rims?, if so any recommendations?.

Roger.

Not cheap but I swear by Swissstop pads. I've been using their green ones for ages now, but I've just looked for a link and they appear to have switched the green to THESE blue now, so I'll be buying these when I need some replacements.

FWIW I've not had any braking issues with the Swissstop pads in any weather TBH.

Note: All the does of course presume you have the pads set up right was well. They should have a smidge of toe-in so the leading edge of the pad touches the rim first? Of course if this is telling you to suck eggs feel free to tell me to shut up :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No. But the SwissStops and Koolstop Salmons are top pads.
If you had steel rims before, you may have leather-faced blocks. These will eat alloy rims. Best to change them anyway. Fibrax blocks for alloy rims (the grey ones) are dirt cheap and work fine. Kool-Stop salmons are very good for low rim wear but are around £10 a pair, more if you need the metal hardware, which you will.

Top Bottom