Brake cable / Ferrule for centre pull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Afternoon all

After browsing SJS for the last hour I am none the wiser on what kind of ferrule I should be using on the end of the cable for the center pulls on my new Carlton.

The brake cable originally on it had no ferrule on it but the inner metallic structure of the housing was pulling through the mount.

I have done a test with a normal ferrule ( admittedly using gear housing as that's what I had to hand) as shown in the picture, however I feel it adds too much play into the system.

Should there be some kind of adjuster here like on the front brake? Or is there a ferrule that will fit?

Thanks in advance.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Is the inside threaded? What is the diameter of the hole?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The adjustment is by the cable retaining nut on the hanger.
If you don't put a ferrule on the cable you might find it will fray over time.
I think you could have done with being a bit more generous with the length of cable outer for a smoother run. Sorry to be rather hyper.

Ajax Bay

Guru
x 2 for Ming's questions. Diameter of the hole: 7mm?
You need a ferrule on it; and a brake one at that (the difference is half a mm ID) for the interface. I think you may also find you get a better line/result with a longer section of outer. The rule should be to minimise length from cable stop to caliper but you want the cable to be closer to vertical as drops into that seatstay bridge stop.
I would also centre the straddle wire hook: in the image you're generating friction at the stop/ferrule.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
3mm diameter hole with no threading.

I understand using a longer length of cable outer, which I did originally but I reduced it to see if that was introducing some play.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Brake cable otters are usually 4 or 5mm, surprised it fits in hole of 3mm.

It is not actually going into the hole, it's just sitting on it.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
There’s a shop run by ex Carlton employees that might have the odd one lying around but the name has gone right out of my head. :sad:.
I think I can make do, using some of the stepdown ferrules and leave any supplies to someone who wants a perfect restoration. I just wanted to understand how to set them up.

midlife

Guru
If there is no adjuster have you got a third hand to help get the blocks near the rims when you nip up the cable? I'm annoyed with myself at not remembering the shop name. It's something cycles lol

Top Bottom