Brake Cables-Shimano worth the extra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Neither of them specify stainless inner wire (although they may be). I'd avoid both on that basis.

The Clarks inner-only from Halfords do say stainless on the pack. Those work fine for me.

Joe

Über Member
Don't skimp on cables. Cable quality and routing are the main factors in smooth shifting!

edit - though I've just noticed you're talking brake cables, not quite so important. But still nicer!

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

Hmmm, what to do?

I could have asked the same question about gear cables, Joe, because I'll be needing them as well!

Going Shimano means c.£60 for cables for two bikes. I'll think on, I guess. Thanks for the replies, all.

just jim

I ordered a couple of sets of these

They compare alright to the off-cuts I have in the shed including Clarks and Shimano.

I think for winter commuting they'll do the job.

dodgy

just jim said:

They compare alright to the off-cuts I have in the shed including Clarks and Shimano.

They were 70% off at PBK as part of their 7day deal promotions the other week, think they came in at about £4 so I bought a few of 'em.

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

just jim said:

Excellent. Sorry for being a dummy but that's all the cables you'll need for one bike, right? Thanks!

Edit to say: ordered them anyway - hope they're what I was after!

Mr Pig

I've used both Clark brake and shifter cables, I think they're good cables. My rear dérailleur has been a pain for a while now, not shifting quite right, slow shifting and jumping gears. I'd stripped the dérailleur etc but checking the cable last night it was binding. I'd checked this last because they are good quality Shimano cables, the ones with the wires in the outer running along the cable instead of wound like a spring, which are supposed to be better and are only a year old.

Fitted the new Clark cable and bingo, sorted immediately. To my eye the Clark cable looks better. The outer is thicker, the inner is Teflon coated and the ferules are lined with plastic cable guides.

Those Clark cables you linked to are different though, they are coil-wound and do not have Teflon on the cables. However at the very least I think that yes, you are paying for the name with Shimano and even if they were the same price I'd still pick up the Clark packet.

Top Bottom