Brake caliper compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Does anyone know (Not speculate please!) if it will be ok to use shimano 105 5700 calipers with 105 5600 shifters?

I have tried to contact shimano to ask, but I cant find a contact.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
according to ribble the 5600 shifters don't have the pull ratio for the 5700 calipers

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
After looking round the net it would appear they are not compatible CRC says this

"Must be used in conjunction with ST-5700, ST-6700 or ST-7900 STIs for correct leverage ratio"

Can't you just use the 5600 calipers thats what I have and they are fine.

You could try here -> CLICK ME dont know if they will help but maybe worth a try.

In case you need any specs etc for the Shimano 105 the Tech Docs and exploded diagrams with part no's -> CLICK ME

phil_hg_uk

Ah right ok I got that problem when I got mine I wanted black and I got mine of ebay, it was either absolutecyles or highonbikes I can't remember which. When I got mine the 5700 had only just come out and I remember everyone saying they didnt think they were compatible with the 5600 levers.

Just had a quick google and these guys are showing the 5600 set in black -> CLICK ME and also there is a set on ebay here -> CLICK ME

Basil.B

Guru
I recently bought and put Shimano 5700 calipers on my single speed bike.
My brakes work fine. Don't know what make my brake levers are, Techno or something.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
^^^

And thats the sort of thing thats confusing me!

It seems they wont work with the 5600 shifters, BUT lots of people have them on with other levers, not even shimano. Im half thinking its a shimano ploy to get people to buy new shifters too.

What to do, what to do..?

phil_hg_uk

Have a look at the tech docs in the link I gave you there is the parts diagram in there and compare the two side by side see if you can spot any major differences.

Basil is probably using Tektro levers.

Basil.B

Guru
Sorry to confuse you even more!
rolleyes.gif

phil_hg_uk

Thats a useful chart I wish I had found that when I was upgrading my chainset would have saved me ages :laugh:

Just looking on another forum where someone was looking at using the 5700 levers with 5600 calipers and the shimano tech guys said this:

"The new Shimano 105 ST-5700 model STI levers are suitable for use with the older RD-5600 model rear derailleur. The 5600 series front derailleur and brake callipers are not compatible, as they use different cable pull ratios".

Which backs up the different ratios theory.

Top Bottom