Mudguards on a disc brake folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Had a problem fitting mudguards to my 20" folding bike. The stay on the disc side won't line up with the bolt hole as the latter is inset some distance from the fork. Also when in line with the hole it fouls on the caliper mounting bolt. I assume I'm meant to bend the stay round the obstructions?

Bike is a Carrera Intercity Disc 9
Mudguards are these from Amazon. They were in fact free as I put in a return due to not being as advertised with adjustable stays and none of the bolts supplied were long enough for my bike's steerer tube. Amazon refunded and sender didn't want me to ship them back.

IMG_1147.jpeg

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
One of these and a longer bolt. Get the relevant M4/5/6 as applies

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/widget-mudguard-m6-disc-brake-spacer-silver/

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you have a spare full size stay, bend it to go under the caliper and cut to size. My kit for a similar guard came with only one stay and it wasn't worth the effort of getting hold of the Chinese seller, so I used what I could find.
IMG_20240310_214630665_HDR.jpg

There is now a proper SKS Bluemels set in my spares cupboard waiting to go on if/when this set-up fails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

@Jenkins No spare stay. The supplied stays are one piece with a loop at either end for the fork bolts, and they bend round the top of the mudguard with a screw on plate to hold them in place. I'm not sure they have the length to bend as much as yours.

I've just put the rear one on for now

dimrub

Last time I was buying mudguards, the seller had V-brakes and disc brakes versions - now I know why.
(As an aside, is there an accessory more troublesome than mudguards? I can't think of any).

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Last time I was buying mudguards, the seller had V-brakes and disc brakes versions - now I know why.
(As an aside, is there an accessory more troublesome than mudguards? I can't think of any).

Good point, looking back at the amazon listing it says 14/20" bikes with V-brakes. I can't remember what it said when I bought it. Either way it owes me nothing. I did a return in the 30 day window and got the refund, but the seller didn't want the item back. Probably not worth the shipping back to China.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Here is the bike with the rear guard on. The "bracket" that came with it presumably for attaching at the seat stay bridge was just a flat piece of thin sheet steel with a slot in it, with wings that I assume you're meant to bend round the edges of the plastic guard to hold it in place. I thought if the guard gets knocked or a clump of mud goes inside it might dislodge the wings enough to foul the tyre and the steel is so thin it's sharp enough to slice the tyre up in this scenario. Also the bracket seems to assume the bolt hole on the bridge is perpendicular to the tyre and not facing it like on this bike.

I didn't like this solution so I drilled a hole through the plastic to bolt it to the seat stay bridge, with a washer each side to protect the plastic. The only adjustability of this is more or fewer washers but I think it's about right as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom