Brake discs rubbing on both wheels on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The brake discs are rubbing on both the front and back wheel when I spin them by hand. It happens once on both wheels per revolution. It is a Giant Roam 0 2015 bought from Rutland Cycling and it has Shimano M395 hydraulic discs. The discs don't look warped to me but I don't know if they just need adjusting.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
2 minute job to sort out and can be seen on YouTube. Had the same problem and it'll happen again at some stage, but it took no time to resolve and made me feel like I knew what I was doing once I'd done it. Been a few months now and still works fine

lpretro1

Its normal with new pads - just ride it and give it some hefty stops - if you just dab at the brakes the pads will glaze. You need to get some real heat in the pads to burn off the chemicals used in the making of them. So don't pussyfoot around :smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
Its normal with new pads - just ride it and give it some hefty stops - if you just dab at the brakes the pads will glaze. You need to get some real heat in the pads to burn off the chemicals used in the making of them. So don't pussyfoot around :smile:

After doing this, and making sure the wheels are properly seated in the drop-outs, for each brake, loosen the two bolts holding the brake mechanism at the wheel, apply and loosen the brakes a couple of times and then hold the brake on firmly while retightening the bolts. This should centre the pads and stop any rubbing. If it does not work first time, give the brake a wiggle after loosening the bolts and repeat the process. Note that this only works if both pads are able to move and won't work with some cable-operated brakes.

Top Bottom