Brake Fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sadly not that many cars are good to use DOT5 and even traces of 3,4 or 5.1 are enough to cause problems. Strangely, the Dodge Viper came with DOT5 from the factory.

Fastpedaller

That type doesn't need changing, so not really appropriate, standard DOT3 or 4 absorbs water,were it can catch you out if left is on long hard braking generating heat the water content can boil & cause the brake pedal to go spongy/drop to the floor, just when you need it least

That's why I said it isn't typical - but I agree I wasn't clear enough. What you say is indeed correct, but I'm confident for most vehicles (which use DOT 3 or 4) that 2 years between changes is more frequent than necessary. Testing for water content before changing fluid would ascertain if a fluid change is needed - no point in doing it if the chance of a problem is very minimal.

Drago

Legendary Member
One needs to remember that the traces of water cause internal corrosion of brake components long before it starts to manifest itself as spongy brakes, etc. This is why manufacturers almost universally recommended two year intervals.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never known brake fluid changes to be part of a service schedule only ever an advisory extra that is worth doing every once in a while.

It's part of the B and C services on Nissans, and the C includes a coolant change as well.

It's also a standard part of the offucial service schedule for BMW ab Mini cars every second year.

I think a lot of the problem is people try to be clever and don't use dealers, and it's the indies who's idea of a service tends to consider anything above oil, filters and plugs and an additional item. Conversely, a lot of manufacturers do actually include it as part of the schedule.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If not done, the following are likely consequences:

Internal corrosion leading to shortened life of brake cylinders, calipers and brake lines, which costs you more in the long run
Bleed nipples becoming impossibly seized

Less likely: total brake failure due to low boiling point

I would 100% get it changed. DIY fluid change is not difficult on most cars, although it can be messy.

Gillstay

Über Member
Not used a main dealer since I left the motor trade 20+ years ago as I saw all the money being charged for jobs not completed .
So I wonder how many people are being charged for a fluid changes and they haven't been done?

Yes such as tappets. In the book but never done.

Top Bottom