Brake Fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My car a Vauxhall Mokka is going in for it's second year service in which changing the brake fluid is not included in the price of the service but the dealer would like you to have it done.
The car has done 18,000 miles and i'll probably be changing it within a year if not sooner .I've checked the brake fluid level and it's between max and min.
The service is expensive enough without spending more money but if it is important and necessary i will just have to pay up.
Thoughts please?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not difficult to do yourself, but being a newer car I'd get it done, but if you are changing the car, it will be fine. I don't change mine that often.

13 rider

Guru
How olds the car ? . If the fluid is fairly clear with no contamination I wouldn't change it if you are planning to change the car soon

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It should be every 2 years. Every place I've gone for a service would include it in a full service. If it's a main delaer then that might explain why they want to charge you for something that should be included anyway. Yes it is important and necessary. Brake fluid absorbs water over time which reduces the efficiency of the system, and can also result in globby stuff which is a further contaminant and potential blockage.

In summary I'd definately just pay for it to be done for peace of mind and also to preserve the service history

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
If the fluid is clear and looks uncontaminated I would leave it. I just flushed the systems on one of motorcycles last year, it was ten years old and came out looking pretty good and I pretty sure the average car’s brakes don’t get beaten on like one of my bikes.

I’m amused by manufacturer’s recommendations for fluid changes. For example, over here the dealers would have you happily dropping the engine oil every 3000 km or 3 months, even though the fluids come out crystal clear. I know we are more worried about the oil’s additive packages being used up and that engine protection being gone but really… isn’t this just a money grab for the dealers? I’ve even heard of mechanics saving synthetic oil drained from customer vehicles for their own use as it was still clean and clear. The dealer tells you to change the fluid at one interval while the fluid manufacturers often claim it’s good for twice as long.

I would bet most people never change their brake fluid. I usually change the brake fluid on my automobiles only if I’m doing a major brake service or repair and I’ve never had problems which were related to contaminated fluid.

I may be a bit sceptical of the automotive industry but that is only because I spent the best part of my working life in automotive product engineering and manufacture and saw way too much BS inflicted on the end user.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd have it done, personally. Aside from the safety aspect of old fluid it can be injurious to the car. VW, for example, won't pay warranty claims on ABS pumps if the fluid hasn't been changed to spec - if that should befall any of us itmwoukd be an expensive way to save a few quid.

Oddly, Volvo also also charge extra while cheapo brands like Nissan and Peugeot include it was part of the B and C service.

scragend

The recommended interval on my car is every two years, which I think is a little bit excessive. I last had a fluid change three years ago (when the car was five years old, I'd owned it for two) and there was a noticeable improvement in the feel of the pedal. It's recently started to feel like it's time for doing again; I won't take it in just for that but when it's time for a service in June I'll have it done then.

I use a local independent garage, never a main dealer, so I always have to spec a fluid change if I want one.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Agree with nearly all of the above. My only concern is that if you skip brake fluid changes, the next person (or you at the next service) might forget, or decide it can be skipped again and again. At least doing it at the recommended intervals means peace of mind and you have it recorded. It's unlikely that not changing it for 5 years will cause the brakes to suddently fail or explode, but they can become softer over time and I do like my brakes to work as well as they were designed to. There is also a very simple and cheap way of testing brake fluid water content so if anyone was asked to do that by a prosecutor/insurer or whoever then they'd soon know.

Fastpedaller

If they can't test it (whilst you watch and see the result) then I wouldn't get it changed. I've had the same brake fluid in one my cars for 14 years - that's not typical and I wouldn't recommend leaving it that long (it is dot5 fully synthetic - not to be mixed with any others)

DRM

Guru
If they can't test it (whilst you watch and see the result) then I wouldn't get it changed. I've had the same brake fluid in one my cars for 14 years - that's not typical and I wouldn't recommend leaving it that long (it is dot5 fully synthetic - not to be mixed with any others)

That type doesn't need changing, so not really appropriate, standard DOT3 or 4 absorbs water,were it can catch you out if left is on long hard braking generating heat the water content can boil & cause the brake pedal to go spongy/drop to the floor, just when you need it least

Top Bottom