Fluid consumption.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
There has been much bandied about in various sources; professional and otherwise, about how much is the 'correct' amount of fluid to intake on a daily basis. The general agreed amount is around the 1.7 - 2 litre mark for an adult, depending on how active they are etc., etc..
Now obviously fluids can be taken not just by drinking water, but in tea, coffee, juices, flavoured drinks, the fruit & veg you eat and so on.
I know historically that I don't intake anything like the amount that I 'should', but at 70, I've not apparently suffered any ill effects apart from a very rare dehydration headache.
I've tried drinking the 'approved amounts' on several occasions and all I end up doing is charging off to the karzi within half an hour of drinking - ! :laugh:
Am I odd, or just lucky - ? :whistle:
What's you experience - ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Judge by the colour of your pee.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
There has been much bandied about in various sources; professional and otherwise, about how much is the 'correct' amount of fluid to intake on a daily basis. The general agreed amount is around the 1.7 - 2 litre mark for an adult, depending on how active they are etc., etc..
Now obviously fluids can be taken not just by drinking water, but in tea, coffee, juices, flavoured drinks, the fruit & veg you eat and so on.
I know historically that I don't intake anything like the amount that I 'should', but at 70, I've not apparently suffered any ill effects apart from a very rare dehydration headache.
I've tried drinking the 'approved amounts' on several occasions and all I end up doing is charging off to the karzi within half an hour of drinking - ! :laugh:
Am I odd, or just lucky - ? :whistle:
What's you experience - ?

I believe that the the oft quoted studies suggest taking in 2 litres a day, but the small print says, "Most of which is contained in your food".

This article debunks many of the myths around fluid consumption https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/water-works-2/

lazybloke

Considering a new username
@vickster has told you all you need to know. There’s no “right” amount to drink, as it depends on how hot it is, whether you are acclimated, if you are exercising for prolonged durations, if that’s in direct sunlight etc etc.
Medical advice is (temporarily) my reason for high fluid consumption.

Well that's going to start speculation.

I've had nearly 4 litres so far today, and counting. Am very hydrated.

Hmm! Careful you're not washing out. Drinking too much water without anything in it can flush out electrolytes and in even not very extreme cases cause death.

I once drank 9 litres of water on one very hot and long day. I felt awful and thought it was dehydration. After food, and beer, i felt better. I was more than a little washed out by all that water. You need electrolytes in your water. 50:50 orange juice and water with a pinch of salt is a cheap electrolytes drink that's better than just water. Alternatively milk believe it or not is a good rehydration I once read. Just don't drink plain water in large amounts.

Forgot to mention a mate on a long summer walk wasn't drinking much. Towards the end of the walk he started to drink water and a lot in a short time. He became very ill. Fortunately we got him back to his b and b which was run by keen fellrunners who recognised he was washed out. They gave him plenty of electrolyte drinks and sachets plus recovery drinks. Then they allowed him to sleep. He woke up feeling great but we felt bad and highly dehydrated. Beer and whiskey in excess is not great for rehydration!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I drink 2-3 litres of water on a non-cycling day, on a cycling day this increases by 1.5 litres upwards. Today I rode 80 miles in temperatures of +/-28⁰ and took on 3.75 litres - 5 bottles. I was 2kg lighter when I got home despite taking in that fluid.

Myself I wouldn't dream of including coffee, tea, soft drinks in my daily intake. My main guide is pee colour, should be clear and a good flow!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You need electrolytes in your water. 50:50 orange juice and water with a pinch of salt is a cheap electrolytes drink that's better than just water. Alternatively milk believe it or not is a good rehydration I once read. Just don't drink plain water in large amounts.

I once tapped a silver birch tree for a gallon of early-spring sap for a home-wine recipe. Presumably the sap was full of lovely electrolytes that trees need - it tasted AMAZING - the most prefectly refreshing drink I'd ever sipped; I called it "plant blood", and it would probably be fantastic during or after a hot bike ride.

Sadly the resulting wine was 6 bottles of foul fetid filth!

DRM

Guru
I once tapped a silver birch tree for a gallon of early-spring sap for a home-wine recipe. Presumably the sap was full of lovely electrolytes that trees need - it tasted AMAZING - the most prefectly refreshing drink I'd ever sipped; I called it "plant blood", and it would probably be fantastic during or after a hot bike ride.

Sadly the resulting wine was 6 bottles of foul fetid filth!

One of Ray Mears survival tips that

Top Bottom