Fluid consumption.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Hmm! Careful you're not washing out. Drinking too much water without anything in it can flush out electrolytes and in even not very extreme cases cause death.

I once drank 9 litres of water on one very hot and long day. I felt awful and thought it was dehydration. After food, and beer, i felt better. I was more than a little washed out by all that water. You need electrolytes in your water. 50:50 orange juice and water with a pinch of salt is a cheap electrolytes drink that's better than just water. Alternatively milk believe it or not is a good rehydration I once read. Just don't drink plain water in large amounts.

This is absolutely true and put a mate of mine in the hospital once. The OJ hack sounds like it would work pretty well. I will remember it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yeah, there are lots of DIY dioralyte recipes out there. Nothing tastes as good as birch sap though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There are many studies which show 2-4 litres is the adequate daily fluid intake for an adult male. In my view for every day cyclists taking this amount plus extra during exercise poses no danger at all.

While hyponatraemia is obviously a danger to endurance athletes it's highly unlikely to impact anyone leisure cycling and eating/drinking correctly during a ride.

Julesh

Guru
@vickster has told you all you need to know. There’s no “right” amount to drink, as it depends on how hot it is, whether you are acclimated, if you are exercising for prolonged durations, if that’s in direct sunlight etc etc.

Acclimated is the word. I drink very little and urinate a small amount of clear pee. If I try to force down 2l a day I feel shoot.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Interesting article from a quick scan on my phone, ming. Will digest later on a bigger screen.

Not a fluids thing, but i nearly collapsed after a spirited ride and big-effort climb to a nearby hilltop in yesterday afternoon's heat and humidity.
Reckon i was overheating. Stopping at the top made me feel worse, slight nausea, racing heart. Felt like i needed to cool down v quickly, so i unzipped my top and freewheeled back downhill - much better having the breeze in my face again. Took things easier for the rest of the ride and was fine.

I'll mention the above to my gp this week; it's my next "over 40s* health check".

*Well, 50s

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Does that mean you didn't drink during your ride, so you could get an accurate weight measurement afterwards?

Perhaps you took bathroom scales with you?!

No, that is the rate of sweating, not the rate of consumption. You also weigh yourself with bottles and remaining water after. The change in weight is the amount of sweat you’ve lost. How much you drink doesn’t affect the calculation as the water in the bottles (plus bottles) is in included in the total weight before / after. The water you started with in your bottles, is either still in your bottles, in your body, or sweated out.

Top Bottom