Brake/gear cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Is there really so much difference ? Im in process of changing the inner/outers on ultegra set up.Struggling which to buy.

Tim Hall

Get stainless inners. I buy Shimano outer from my LBS by the metre and cut it to length myself. Good cutters are vital.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Jagwire have a coating on them that is supposed to be lower friction than stainless steel. Whether it makes any difference in the real world is anyone's guess, my Bianchi has Jagwires, other bikes I have recabled have cheapest stainless steel, with no apparent issues.

tyred

Legendary Member
I doubt there is any difference whatsoever.

Stainless has the advantage of not rusting, the nice thing about non-stainless is that you can do nice neat soldered ends so they don't unravel at the cut end.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If you go for 5mm Jagwire Elite Link then you can use the same outer for both, but the liner and the inner are specific for gear and brake. I suspect the same is true of some of the Alligator i-Link system... The Alligator is a chunk cheaper than the Jagwire

davidphilips

Veteran
As Tim said good cutters are vital, i use cheap cables to use on my run around bike and change tem every second year and they work as good as the expensive cables on some of my better bikes but only my own view but making a good clean cut of the outer cables and having nice shallow curves and fitting ferrels is good practice.

Theres a friend who when fitting cables actually files the ends i dont but everyone to there own.

Top Bottom