Brake lever adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shoxt3r

Hi all,

I've recently installed a new brake caliper on the front and I feel like the brake lever hasn't been the same since.

The brake is working fine but the brake lever has A LOT of travel when pulled. I've attempted to adjust the brake cable length at the caliper end which has made a bit of a difference but the lever still feels pretty loose. When I first installed the caliper, I did end up tightening the cable adjuster which got me going, though I know this is not recommended.

Below is a short video demonstrating the difference between the rear brake and the front brake levers, as well as photos comparing the state of the rear and front brake lever adjusters.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/adswfTo6rSpLWfXPA

PXL_20210718_104820374.MP.jpg
PXL_20210718_104827272.MP.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Are we talking cable/rim brakes?

The adjusters are really only there for fine tuning and for compensating for brake block wearing.

Screw the adjusters back in and go to the pinch bolts on the calipers. Hold the brake blocks closer to the rim and undo, take up the slack in the cable and re tighten.

Last thought, is there a qr lever at the caliper end. Is this in the closed position?

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Are we talking cable/rim brakes?

The adjusters are really only there for fine tuning and for compensating for brake block wearing.

Screw the adjusters back in and go to the pinch bolts on the calipers. Hold the brake blocks closer to the rim and undo, take up the slack in the cable and re tighten.

Last thought, is there a qr lever at the caliper end. Is this in the closed position?

Sorry I should have clarified - these are disc-based cable brakes. The TRP Spyke (if that makes any odds) :smile:
Ok thanks for clearing that up - I had a feeling it was just for minor adjustments.

Ok will take a look at the pinch bolts on the caliper side of things - there is no QR lever for the caliper that I can see..

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Thanks cyberknight - I actually have the TRP Spyke, not Spyre brakes 🙂.

I loosely followed this guide, which recommended putting the brake lever adjusters all the way in and then manually adjusting the brake at the caliper end; loosening the bolt holding the cable and then tightening afterwards.

View: https://youtu.be/XFyo8m3zeEM

Attached are comparison pictures of the caliper positioning before and after adjustment which seems to have done the trick!

The brake cable has seen better days as it split slightly as I attempted to pull it through (one strand has come loose which I've cut back) but brake performance appears to be unaffected.

Attachments

• PXL_20210719_123938409.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210719_123938409.MP.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 5

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you should probably replace that frayed cable and fit a crimp on the end once you've done it to stop the new one fraying.

You just need a bit of trial and error with how tight you pull the wire at the clamp bolt. if you squeeze the brake on with your hands at the caliper end, then tighten up the bolt, it usually relaxes out a bit, so you can then fine tune tighten with the twisty adjusters you have at the level and caliper end. you want it so it doesnt rub, but comes on pretty quickly once you start pulling on the lever

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

you should probably replace that frayed cable and fit a crimp on the end once you've done it to stop the new one fraying.

You just need a bit of trial and error with how tight you pull the wire at the clamp bolt. if you squeeze the brake on with your hands at the caliper end, then tighten up the bolt, it usually relaxes out a bit, so you can then fine tune tighten with the twisty adjusters you have at the level and caliper end. you want it so it doesnt rub, but comes on pretty quickly once you start pulling on the lever

Ok great - thank you for the tips! I'll replace the cable - I should add that I did add a crimp after I took those shots which has tidied it up somewhat but will replace the cable to be safe.

When I pulled the cable through it seemed to be as taught as I could make it, but manually adjusting the caliper and then tightening the bolt seemed to fix it?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
it you've now got it adjusted fine, then I'd leave it alone for now, but have a spare cable in your shed / bottom drawer in case the fraying leads to any issues with it sticking later. Brakes are less sensitive than gears with less than perfect cables.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Ok cool - yeah always good to have spares on hand anyway I imagine, just incase the unexpected happens!

Top Bottom