Brake lever grips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

So this morning was my first experience with drop bars in the rain (since childhood) and I came to the conclusion that brake levers are slippy little things, can I can envision if I had to slam the brakes on they could easily slide out (inwards) from under my fingers in the gear changing direction. So I was thinking there must be some grip like material I can stick to the levers to ensure this doesn't happen, but a quick Google doesn't turn anything up (but that could be cos I don't know what they are called)

If anyone has a clue what I'm trying to describe does such a thing exist?

Fiona N

Veteran
I've never had a problem with sliding brake levers despite riding thousands of miles in rain - and I've small hands.

Maybe it's just a case of getting used to the position and the set up.

P.S> do you used gloves? If you're really worried, some full finger mtb gloves (they're lightweight not winter gloves) might be the answer

siadwell

Guru
If anyone has a clue what I'm trying to describe does such a thing exist?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything.

I noticed a problem when the weather was colder as my full-finger gloves, despite having grippy dots on them, didn't get too good a purchase on the metal. I thought it must be possible to buy some kind of grippy rubber sleeve to slide over the lever - something a bit like this (from a quick google).

Also found this, which may do the trick for little outlay.

zexel

Veteran
You reminded me of something I had on my MTB brake levers years ago. They were rubber tubes that slid on to the brake levers.

Found something similar like this, LINK or THESE

I can't see how they wouldn't fit/work for drop levers.

Edit: Just found what I had on my MTB ... THESE, which are probably less suitable for drops than the other two above, unless you cut the ends off. Actually remembering back they were very effective little things.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

I was wearing fingerless gloves this morning. But you might be right about it just been a case of getting used to it, I did have the same feeling about them sliding out in dry conditions 2 weeks ago when I first got the bike, but now happy that's not going to happen. Could just be a confidence thing.

I have Shimano 2300 levers is there any way to adjust these so they are a bit stiffer to change gear? there seems to be a good 10mm of play both they start pulling on the change cable, is this normal?

Still think some form of grip would be good on the levers, maybe I need to go on Dragons Den

Zoiders

In the wet slide on silicone/rubber sleeves get even more slippy than the bare metal.

Your fingers are meant to be able to slide over the levers, it's lets you control them better.

Tynan

Veteran
try using low end resin/plastic/something ones like me, campag xenon

I do have big hands though

billy1561

BB wrecker
I felt mine were difficult to reach and occasionally slipped from grip but had some shims put in them so they are nearer to me and the grip has improved a lot. Maybe that would help?

Top Bottom