Brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , I was in a Vintage bike shop in N London , on a CB road bike there was some type of brake lever which could be operated from on top of the bars and somehow connected to the normal brake levers , it was a fairly old bike so a bit different to the modern bar levers Ive seen on new bikes , I should have quizzed the shop person at the time , what are thes old style levers called ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Suicide levers.

SuicideBrakeLevers.jpg

They were useless, hence the name.

midlife

Guru
GT levers as they were called in the brochure... Pull up hard and go in the back of the car stopped in traffic. :sad:

Hated them as I had to set them up in the shop!

Shaun

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mine worked OK but I've seen more than one set bent from emergency braking, hence the name as next time you try to brake, the bent lever basically doesn't. Interrupters are better in most ways.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Hiya , I was in a Vintage bike shop in N London , on a CB road bike there was some type of brake lever which could be operated from on top of the bars and somehow connected to the normal brake levers , it was a fairly old bike so a bit different to the modern bar levers Ive seen on new bikes , I should have quizzed the shop person at the time , what are thes old style levers called ?
Ignore all the talk about Suicide Levers. What you want are known as Crosstop Brake Levers.

cane-creek-crosstop-lever.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-crosstop-brake-levers/

Other makes are available, blah, blah, blah ...........

D

Deleted member 1258

Suicide levers.

View attachment 117112

They were useless, hence the name.

Yes I remember them, I would take them off if I could.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes I remember them, I would take them off if I could.
That might be a bad move. My suicide levers caused me to almost crash... six years after I gave the bike away! That was when I got my next road bike, which doesn't have them so nothing happened when I reached for them as I rolled up to my hedge at the end of a ride.... :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

That might be a bad move. My suicide levers caused me to almost crash... six years after I gave the bike away! That was when I got my next road bike, which doesn't have them so nothing happened when I reached for them as I rolled up to my hedge at the end of a ride.... :laugh:

I took the suicide levers off a couple of bikes without problems, also locally there used to be a bike shop we went too and he sold outer brake cable by the yard, and he had a roll that was meant to be used on mopeds, fitting that brought about an improvement in braking.

Top Bottom