Brake locks front wheel resulting in flying over the handlebars

No matter how hard the brake is applied should it ever be possible to jam the wheel completely

• Yes

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
As I explained in a later post the guy in the bike shop made some adjustment and all was working again so there was no permanent damage. All I can think is that either the brake shoe had ridden over the rim. This can only happen if the brake shoe was adjusted to be too high. I cannot think of anything else.
If so, you should be able to see a mark on the tyre sidewall.

lulubel

Über Member
A thought has just popped into my head - you say the bike originally had a 'centre pull' brake, (by which I assume you mean a cantilever), which has been replaced by a V brake:

BRAKES.JPG

Was the brake lever replaced at the same time? When V brakes were introduced I seem to remember dire warnings about using them with levers designed for cantis.

This was my first thought too. Cantis replaced with Vs, and the levers not replaced.

Maybe that's what happened?

Tim Hall

As I explained in a later post the guy in the bike shop made some adjustment and all was working again so there was no permanent damage. All I can think is that either the brake shoe had ridden over the rim. This can only happen if the brake shoe was adjusted to be too high. I cannot think of anything else.

No, it can happen if the pad is marginally too low. Apply brake, pad dives under rim. Release brake, pad can't fly back, wheel is jammed. This happened to one of the riders on the FNRTTC, just after the tea stop. It was the rear wheel, so no acrobatics were involved. A couple of minutes with an allen key and all was well.

Linford

There is also a risk that the casting is getting pinched by a washer and is interfeering with the free movement of the lever on its pivot.

OP
OP
F

Freddy92

HI everyone. I really appreciate your help here. Managed to get another picture from daughter today. What do you think about the brake cable run?

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
F

Freddy92

Actually thinking about what you guys said about changing from a V brake to a side pull and not changing the lever. You are right - the pull on the brake cable per mm is going to move the pads in towards the rim more in the V brake than the cantilever. (I had no idea until now there was more than one type of brake lever.)

Linford

HI everyone. I really appreciate your help here. Managed to get another picture from daughter today. What do you think about the brake cable run?

Not much wrong with that IMO . If you drop the cable off you can see if it is stiff in action in the sheath, and also you can move the levers on the fork legs to make sure they aren't partially seized.

OP
OP
F

Freddy92

Re running the cable from the left lever - can the brake be turned around the other way so as to keep the front brake on the RH lever??

oldroadman

Veteran
Brake hard enough on any decent set up and it's possible to lock up. If the wheel would not move then investigation, not speculation, is needed to se why. Whilst respecting the "professional engineer" quote, it shows a lack of understanding of braking systems if anyone believes that brakes cannot be locked up - one reason for ABS on motor vehicles. All that said, do hope the lady is OK.

simon.r

Person
Not much wrong with that IMO . If you drop the cable off you can see if it is stiff in action in the sheath, and also you can move the levers on the fork legs to make sure they aren't partially seized.

+1

Ideally it looks as if the outer could do with being a liitle bit shorter, but it's OK as it is.

rualexander

Legendary Member
The tops of the brake arms look to be rather far apart with a lot of bare cable between the rubber boot an the cable anchor bolt, maybe the washers on the pads need to be swapped around so that the narrow washer is on the inside which will bring the arms closer together. For a better cable run to the noodle pipe you can get a noodle with a tighter angle.

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
i work in a bike shop i am also an engineer ( HNC in mechanical engineering ) and tbh ime sick of hearing the old am an engineer so i know about bike's malarkey it dont mean anything you can either set up a bike or you cant simple as that if you dont want your daughter to be able to lock up her front wheel simply get her one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-V-...keparts_SR&hash=item2ebc1d0722#ht_1999wt_1270 it should help. if that sounded abit ranty ime sorry just tired

My theory is that I firstly wouldn't want to arm-wrestle your daughter! ^_^

Just kidding, but it sounds like she has a, shall we say, firm grip, managing to bust a front canti. My reckoning is, the brakes being harsher than she is used to, the front wheel locked under emergency braking with the added leverage of the original brake lever - maybe with a small rut or similar to help it lock up.

The fall somehow managed to dislodge the return spring out of one arm, leaving no opposing force to balance the brake leaving one arm tight to the rim.

The "quick job" done to sort it was releasing the noodle, popping the return spring back in place and re-inserting the noodle into the stirrup

Top Bottom