Brake mounts???

Brake mounts (IS) for rear disk brake???

• you don't need a mount

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spazz5697

Hi there,

Bear with me please, I'm a beginner and I'm learning to build my bike the hard way.

I've been working on the same bike for a few years, saving and all that (not much money in Romania where I used to live).

Now, I decided I should upgrade my wheels and go with disk brakes.

I have bought a rear Shimano M425 break, but I am not sure how to install it onto my frame.
shimano-deore-bl-m615-br-t615-hydraulic-disc-brake.jpg

All I have got on my frame is 2 holes (IS - 51 mm apart), but no mount and I can't figure out how this should be fitted. I have looked for mounts online, but all I could find is Adapters from Post Mounts to IS Mounts.

I expect to have misunderstood something.

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if I need to post any pictures.

Apologies since this is suuuuuch a beginner's thread.

I don't want to go to the shop, since I'll just embarass myself :smile: with my lack of knowledge, sorry.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Your frame is not made to take disc brakes. The fork and the rear stays on frames that are have the mounting points built in for the brake calipers.

BTW, your user name makes me think this is a wind up, though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
You need and adapter for IS mounts to post mount.

Your frame is IS, your brakes are post.

The disc size has an effect on what exact mount you get, so make sure you know the disc size when ordering.

Tim Hall

Smokin Joe, I think you're wrong, as the OP says he has the two holes in the frame for mounting the brake. I think the M425 is a post mount brake, while @spazz5697 has IS mounts, so needs an IS to Post Mount adaptor. Confusingly (to me anyway) the terminology to describe the adaptors seems to be back to front. However, a bit of digging shows, for example, this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-anodised-brake-mount-adaptor-rear-is/rp-prod69496
Which in the Q&A says
This adaptor will convert a Post Mount caliper to fit an I.S. mount frame/fork.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe, I think you're wrong, as the OP says he has the two holes in the frame for mounting the brake. I think the M425 is a post mount brake, while @spazz5697 has IS mounts, so needs an IS to Post Mount adaptor. Confusingly (to me anyway) the terminology to describe the adaptors seems to be back to front. However, a bit of digging shows, for example, this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-anodised-brake-mount-adaptor-rear-is/rp-prod69496
Which in the Q&A says
I stand corrected.

Top Bottom