Brake Pad fail - suck it up or whinge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I had to put a call of shame in a few k from home yesterday after my brakes very suddenly started howling and eventually binding on the front to the point where the bike was becoming unridable. I could have whipped the pads out by the roadside and just lived with the rears for the remainder of the ride, but it was hot and I didn’t want to.

Anyways, I pulled the pads out this morning to give them a look and one of them pretty much just fell apart in my hands, with the braking surface coming away from the mount. Pics below. I thought they were older but checking my purchase history they would have been fitted around March and have probably done around 2.5-3k of reasonably lumpy, brakey road riding.

As far as I can make out the brakes are fine - the pistons aren't binding and the wear on the opposing pad is similar to the knackered one. The wear is a little wedge-shaped, which I’ve not noticed before, but I could see how this would happen on the leading edge.

Pads are swisstop so not tat. I’ve had disc pads and blocks from them for time with no problems.

What are people’s opinions on whether to make a fuss and try and get a replacement? Bought from Tweeks as they were the only ones with stock at the time - I’m not a regular customer. The pads have obviously got wear but it’s the nature of the failure that makes me grumpy.

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

Also, tip of the hat to the riders who checked all was ok while I was pulled up trying to find the problem. It makes a difference.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you think it's legit (which to me it seems to be) always whinge.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
How much more than 3,000 miles were you expecting?

3000km. I don’t especially log distance, but until now the pads have stayed in one piece, even to the point where the braking compound is gone too thin to be trusted. If I were looking at the wear is isolation I‘d be happy they were still perfectly usable.

I'm getting about 3000 miles from my pads. 3000 km doesn't sound much and my pads don't fail like that.

Worth an email at least?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm getting about 3000 miles from my pads. 3000 km doesn't sound much and my pads don't fail like that.

Worth an email at least?

That’s more the thing that bothers me. Wear is wear but it‘s nature of the failure that surprised me.

figbat

Slippery scientist
could have whipped the pads out by the roadside and just lived with the rears for the remainder of the ride
Could you not have taken the rear pads and put in the front caliper?

I’ve never had the friction material come away from the backing before. Had they been exposed to any solvent? Brake fluid? Soaked in something like a cleaner and left?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Could you not have taken the rear pads and put in the front caliper?

I’ve never had the friction material come away from the backing before. Had they been exposed to any solvent? Brake fluid? Soaked in something like a cleaner and left?

I could, but as per the OP I couldn’t be harsed. It was boiling and I just put in a decent day in the North Wessex Downs. Give an old guy a break.

No solvents (they’d dissolve the bike!) and no sign of any fluid leakage.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW my Genesis has done 4k miles and the wear on the front (Shimano L04C) pads is barely detectable.. athough I am a generally sedate, mechanically sympathetic rider and probably have / had a bit too much of a rear-braking bias..

Last edited:
Top Bottom