Brake pads for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Clarks are OK if you clean your rims. The compound is more sticky than the shimano. Only the Salmon's pip them.

Hm. I have Clarks and I think they're pretty poor, even with (what I assume to be) clean rims. I give them a quick rub down with a soft cloth once a week or so. Is there something I could be doing differently to improve performance?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I've just stuck Swiss stop ghp (I think) on my langster and wow they are amazing

Less grim on my rim (Oh er) in the wet

Miles more stopping power ,especially in the wet

And only £20 for 4

BSRU

A Human Being
I've just stuck Swiss stop ghp (I think) on my langster and wow they are amazing

Less grim on my rim (Oh er) in the wet

Miles more stopping power ,especially in the wet

And only £20 for 4
I have just changed to SwissStop GHP's, previously used KoolStop salmons.
Same stopping power but far far less grey crap when it has been wet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

leemo

Commuter
ive used Aztec pads and they work well. Much better than the stock shimano and I will buy again.

Koolstop salmon will give you more stopping power but you can only use so much before you go over the bars plus they wear out more quickly.

On my steel-rimmed bike I use the salmons. Even then its squeeze and pray in the wet.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hm. I have Clarks and I think they're pretty poor, even with (what I assume to be) clean rims. I give them a quick rub down with a soft cloth once a week or so. Is there something I could be doing differently to improve performance?

My practice is to spin the wheel and rub a damp cloth/paper towel (a little dilute FS10 on there helps) over the rim until all the gunk comes off. Then I rinse.

I also make sure they're aligned right so the pads fall flat on the rim. Sometimes I open the brakes up too or remove the pads and clean up the rubber, make sure no grit is in there. No oil or gunk on it and clear the grooves.

You also have to avoid the bottom of the range clarkes pads. Theres two better above and one if the Gold. I get the next one down most of the time. Its a solid black or red colour usually.

Top Bottom