Brake pads for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying start

Veteran
Hi all
Thought I'd ask the all wether commuting lads
Looking to get the best pads I can find really for all whether conditions
My giant rapid has road calipers I have SRAM s27 wheels (aluminium) or some that don't make that black mess?

goody

Veteran
I can tell you some not to get 'clarks' hopeless in the wet. the standard tektro ones weren't to bad.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Clarks do various pads, the Clarks Gold that I use are far, far better in the wet than the Shimano Tiagra pads that came with my bike. I think the red stuff makes them work better...or summink!
Thats a good point, iirc shimano do about 10 different types of pads, clarkes about 4... If you only ever use something like a tesco £1.46 pad you're never going to know the potential, LOL

RhythMick

Über Member
Yep, Koolstop Salmon on the front and blacks on the back. That way you can grab a handfull of lever without the back locking-up too easily.
Ok, soft pads wear a bit quicker but the upside is they entrain less grit and your rims will last longer.
Ooh good call. Just switched to KoolStops Tectonic. Mixed compound right now but will order a pair of salmons for the front for when they wear out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't stop the black goo - that's your rims wearing ! :laugh:

Clarks standard shimano cartridge pads are fine - I use them on my commuter and best bike. Stop fine in all conditions. I'll always recommend clean rims anyway - reduces the wear rate

Top Bottom