Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
What brake pads do you recommend for side pull calipers shimano. I have decided after many years of having the bike shop do the work I might as well do myself. Looks a rather simple job, I suppose like everything there is a difference in quality and the more you pay the better they will be and the longer they will last

Koolstop.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have tried a few over the past 3 years and the cheap Bell pads from Asda have been as good as any

outlash

also available in orange
Not a hard job at all. Old pads off, new pads on, adjust brakes to suit.
I tend to go for koolstop salmons as a balance between price & performance, although no-one has a bad word to say about swissstop greens. Just make sure you get the right ones and put them on the right way round ;).

Tony.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Not a hard job at all. Old pads off, new pads on, adjust brakes to suit.
I tend to go for koolstop salmons as a balance between price & performance, although no-one has a bad word to say about swissstop greens. Just make sure you get the right ones and put them on the right way round ;).

Tony.
silly question Tony but are they all a standard size?...the pads at the back are making a noise at present and when I inspected they are part worn down so I guess I should change. I can see it's a relatively easy job...

jack smith

Veteran
Its an easy job a good tip is to put the pads in loosley then line them up with the rim and hold the break on and tighten the bolts at the same time then the pads stay in place, used the clarks ones on all my bikes now ive no need for any other, great in the wet and dry and not harsh on rims

Another Koolstop salmon user. Better than any other pad I have tried and do not wear the rims down. Absolutely brilliant feel in the wet.

outlash

also available in orange
silly question Tony but are they all a standard size?...the pads at the back are making a noise at present and when I inspected they are part worn down so I guess I should change. I can see it's a relatively easy job...

They're a variety of brake pads so you would have to buy the correct size. What brakes do you have?

Tony.

You've had lots of recommendations for Koolstop and I endorse them too for all the reasons stated plus, they don't pick up aluminium from the rim track. If you look at your current pads where they touch the rim, you'll see lots of bits of aluminium in the pads. This causes a scraping noise and little ridges in the rim itself. Koolstop doesn't do this and has a patent on the stuff in the pad - ironically rust - that stops this from happening. The ones you want are the red or salmon ones.
Pad shape differs for Shimano and Campagnolo and the latter has two shapes - pre 2000 and post 2000.

Top Bottom