Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I have Tektro R312 dual pivot caliper brakes, but I can't find much about them.

My understanding is they accept new pads as they are a cartridge system. However, I can't get the old pad out as the Allen key just spins in the tiny bolt, it's almost rounded (which surprises me as I have never touched them).

Can I just replace the broken side with something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-blocks-complete/ ?

Also, the two sides are off centre. There is a adjustment screw on top, but I have a similar problem in that the allen keys won't work. Again surprised being I have never adjusted them. Is there any alternative way to get them centred (although with new pads, it may be better centred as the current pads have uneven wear).

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes you can swap the brake blocks for any similar model and they don't have to be cartridge type.
The dual pivot caliper is centred using the screw that you mention. A good fitting Allen key should work - but if you have already rounded the socket you may need to resort to using a torx type bit to get a grip. Try a squirt of penetrating fluid (Plusgas or similar) and leave it for an hour or two before trying again. If you really can't free off the adjuster, you can loosen the bolt that secures the caliper and move the whole caliper to adjust any imbalance.

boydj

Legendary Member
To centre the brake I normally loosen the bolt attaching the brake to the frame slightly, apply the brake at the lever and tighten the bolt again while holding the brake lever tight. The brake should now be centred. You can just adjust the brake with a bit of pressure from your hands as long as the bolt is not too tight.

Nibor

Bewildered
I have Tektro R312 dual pivot caliper brakes, but I can't find much about them.

My understanding is they accept new pads as they are a cartridge system. However, I can't get the old pad out as the Allen key just spins in the tiny bolt, it's almost rounded (which surprises me as I have never touched them).

Can I just replace the broken side with something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-blocks-complete/ ?

Also, the two sides are off centre. There is a adjustment screw on top, but I have a similar problem in that the allen keys won't work. Again surprised being I have never adjusted them. Is there any alternative way to get them centred (although with new pads, it may be better centred as the current pads have uneven wear).
yes but I would get these as rthey are much better value http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe/rp-prod55815

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I've tried the two sizes and two sets of allen keys (one being brand new as they're part of a screwdriver set I never used the hex heads for before), one is too large, the other looks right but wont make any contact.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I've tried the two sizes and two sets of allen keys (one being brand new as they're part of a screwdriver set I never used the hex heads for before), one is too large, the other looks right but wont make any contact.
Definitely not a torx head?

Top Bottom