Brake problem Driving Me Nuts !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I must admit to trying most make of brake blocks over the years, but I still keep going back to Ultegra ones.

I find them good for all conditions and they seem to last for ages.

CorsairC

Über Member
BJH said:
I am confident that this is not an issue with teh cables - pulling the lever has the wheel stopped firmly when stationary. ....

I used to test mine like this. But when your on the bike theres a lot more weight, and thus you need a lot more pressure to lock/stop the wheel. With mine I was simply not positioning the blocks close enough to the wheel.

long drop brakes

gbb said:
I think some (maybe a lot) of the braking force is lost with flex in the long arms of long drop brakes.

The force clamping the brake to the rim is reduced because the lever ratio is reduced with long drop brakes (the brake pad travels further for the same lever travel). The change to the mechanical advantage is a bit like that from using a higher gear in the drivetrain, where the wheel turns further for the same pedal movement, but the effort required to accelerate is greater.

Sheldon Brown's website is a great resource for cycling info and his article about cantilever brake geometry is worth a read - http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

Assuming that your brakes are already adjusted so that you can't depress the lever all the way to the handlebar, you have a few options:
  • develop your grip strength to a level that will make people think twice about shaking your hand
  • replace the lever with one designed for long throw cantilevers
  • replace the brake with one with a shorter drop or disc brakes (if the frame will accept them)
I presume that you are using long drop calipers in order to use smaller wheels than the frame was designed to take. If you don't want to use larger diameter rims, an alternative is to fabricate a new mount to allow standard brakes to work with non-standard rims. Again Sheldon Brown has some info on this - see http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html. It may not be absolutely clear in his instructions, but he uses two flat bars and spacer washers (instead of one flat bar) in order to reduce bracket flex, which would reduce the braking performance inthe manner you described.

Personally, I would use standard brakes and rims, but if you want the smaller rims for frame geometry or other reasons, I would try to find some levers designed to work with these brakes, with the normal brakes and home made mounting bracket being my third option (I presume that disc brakes are not practical).

AlanW

Guru
cicchis0 said:
The force clamping the brake to the rim is reduced because the lever ratio is reduced with long drop brakes (the brake pad travels further for the same lever travel).

From a engineering/mechanical point of view yes I agree, however from a more practical point of view I disagree.

I have long drop brakes on my Audax bike, and have std drop drop brakes on my other two road bikes and there is no measurable difference between the amount of force required to stop or slow down, when comparing them.

harry dunn

This may sound obvious but have u tried toeing them in slightly rather than setting them totally parralell to the rim , this give it a better grip and stops the rim from " slipping through the bloxs". What levers are u using ? could they be the problem not the calipers.

OP
OP
B

BJH

Über Member
Right, I took a kitchen scourer to the rims and gave them a really good clean. Initial trial around my road seems like it has produced a massive improvement.
I am presuming they must have picked something up on teh rims which was causing the issue.
Can't wait for this weather to improve to try them properly - so keeping my fingers crossed.

NickM

Veteran
GrasB said:
...while the Tektro RL520 (Linear pull) rendered my Avid digit-5 V brakes basically non-existent (these brakes I know worked well before changing the leavers), the Cane Creek V-Drop were on par or better than the originally supplied Avid leavers. All I changed between these 3 setups was the brake levers!
Really?? It looks to me as though the Cane Creek levers are just re-badged Tektros...

Top Bottom