Brake problem Ice Adventure HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This morning I became aware of a click when I applied my right hand drum brake. The brake is silent when static but only with movement is there any noise Externally everything seems tight including the steering which suggests an internal problem. I have no experience of drum brakes and have no idea how to get the wheel off even to check although no doubt my friend Mr Google will tell me. I have to get this into my flat before starting work and I am off on a trip on Monday when I hope to take the trike with me.
Anybody had this problem with drum brakes and if so any advice welcome?
My nearest dealer is Kinetics in Glasgow which is a days journey each way at least so no point in trying there.

This morning I became aware of a click when I applied my right hand drum brake. The brake is silent when static but only with movement is there any noise Externally everything seems tight including the steering which suggests an internal problem. I have no experience of drum brakes and have no idea how to get the wheel off even to check although no doubt my friend Mr Google will tell me. I have to get this into my flat before starting work and I am off on a trip on Monday when I hope to take the trike with me.
Anybody had this problem with drum brakes and if so any advice welcome?
My nearest dealer is Kinetics in Glasgow which is a days journey each way at least so no point in trying there.
Call Kevin at D.TEK :notworthy: 01353 648177
for a talk through and solutions without shifting the trike into the flat unless its raining :rain:
How many miles to date ?? you will need allen keys and 10mm and 13mm spanner .

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Call Kevin at D.TEK :notworthy: 01353 648177
for a talk through and solutions without shifting the trike into the flat unless its raining :rain:
How many miles to date ?? you will need allen keys and 10mm and 13mm spanner .
[/QUOTE
Thanks for reply. I have been in touch with Ben at Kinetics in Glasgow but this is probably at least 3 days return journey to take the trike down to him.
The problem appears to be wear in either the locating slot on the back plate or on the pin which fits into it or probably both. The pin is tight on the frame. There is slight movement when the brake is applied which causes a click but only on one side. It seemed to have appeared suddenly but the road I commonly use is a bit rough anyway and slight noise may not be picked out. Mileage is not high but not more than about 3 thousand probably as I got the trike second hand with obviously low mileage but still unknown.
The trike is still useable for my light use in the short term as both brakes work ok but just a niggle on one side.
The problem has been passed back to Ice for their comments.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not a terribly good picture but the head of the allen bolt and the slot referred to can be seen.
A6DB303A-6751-41AD-A884-DCF8F6538DFE.png

F1B7DACB-3F24-4B61-8DC6-0A242CA4632F.png

With the quoted miles ....the suggested wear is very doubtfull .
Have you ever removed the SA70 brakes for cleaning tghe drums and de-glazing the shoes and regreasing the axles ??

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
With the quoted miles ....the suggested wear is very doubtfull .
Have you ever removed the SA70 brakes for cleaning tghe drums and de-glazing the shoes and regreasing the axles ??
I agree on the mileage /wear doubt. I have never touched the brakes or regreased the axles as everything seemed to be running smoothly and the brakes are good. One of these winter jobs but it is suggested the brakes should not need touched unless they lose efficiency.
The movement at the locating pin is not in doubt as the pin on the other side is firm in the slot with no play as it should be.
Incidentally I see the need for allen keys and 10mm spanner but why the 13mm as cannot see where it would be needed so far as the pin is concerned?

byegad

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's not a headset with a little unwanted play in it.
My QNT's drum brakes did 10000 miles plus and all I ever did was apply a little lube to the cables and levers. IIRC I did once adjust the cables as there was a little play in them before the brakes came on.
They are effectively fit and forget items.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's not a headset with a little unwanted play in it.
My QNT's drum brakes did 10000 miles plus and all I ever did was apply a little lube to the cables and levers. IIRC I did once adjust the cables as there was a little play in them before the brakes came on.
They are effectively fit and forget items.
I did consider the headset but the play in the locating pin slot is quite clear with the wheel jacked up. There is no doubt about the source of the problem but the main problem is why did it happen? The other side is available for comparison. Anyway I have passed this back to Kinetics who sold me the trike and he is passing it back to ICE.

I agree on the mileage /wear doubt. I have never touched the brakes or regreased the axles as everything seemed to be running smoothly and the brakes are good. One of these winter jobs but it is suggested the brakes should not need touched unless they lose efficiency.
The movement at the locating pin is not in doubt as the pin on the other side is firm in the slot with no play as it should be.
Incidentally I see the need for allen keys and 10mm spanner but why the 13mm as cannot see where it would be needed so far as the pin is concerned?
The 13mm spanner would cover earlier flush fit (outside) axles that used a half moon head .
Sounds like your setup is allen to allen head .axle with the nylon insert to protect the outer bearings .
Very easy to check the headsets .....grasp the wheel and tyre TDC and with your other hand place finger and thumb around the top shells ....
....now rock the wheel side to side ie inboard and outboard movement
Can you feel any slop or movement ?
Next check the axle bolt tension ?
Next check the steering rod joints (hidden behind rubber boots :training::training:) for wear HOW ??
Grab the wheels at the three o clock position nearest the H bars and attempt to move in board and outboard
Any signs of wear or slop or clicking on the four joints ( these joints are "sealed for life " none service type and considered a consumable !
I bet you your axles are as dry as a bone and the brake shoes need mucking out and the glaze removing off the brake shoes .
A few pointers .....hope that helps .........
.............happy to talk you through "flying Doctor style " over the phone :music:

The locating pin hole on the SA backplate would have to have thousands of miles to show even the slightest of wear . The locating pin is stainless and would show signs of wear if left loose ...so have a close look .....just in case .
I bet its something rather simple ......Loose axle bolt or the headsets require adjustment .
Both fixes are just five mins :angel:

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The locating pin hole on the SA backplate would have to have thousands of miles to show even the slightest of wear . The locating pin is stainless and would show signs of wear if left loose ...so have a close look .....just in case .
I bet its something rather simple ......Loose axle bolt or the headsets require adjustment .
Both fixes are just five mins :angel:
Thanks for the help. The locating pin is visibly moving in the slot tho' as opposed to the other side which is not moving so I am still convinced so far that this is where the problem lies but will have another go at it tomorrow and check everything else. The pin is firmly fixed in the frame where I think it can be seen in my pictures.
The 13mm spanner would cover earlier flush fit (outside) axles that used a half moon head .
Sounds like your setup is allen to allen head .axle with the nylon insert to protect the outer bearings .
Very easy to check the headsets .....grasp the wheel and tyre TDC and with your other hand place finger and thumb around the top shells ....
....now rock the wheel side to side ie inboard and outboard movement
Can you feel any slop or movement ?
Next check the axle bolt tension ?
Next check the steering rod joints (hidden behind rubber boots :training::training:) for wear HOW ??
Grab the wheels at the three o clock position nearest the H bars and attempt to move in board and outboard
Any signs of wear or slop or clicking on the four joints ( these joints are "sealed for life " none service type and considered a consumable !
I bet you your axles are as dry as a bone and the brake shoes need mucking out and the glaze removing off the brake shoes .
A few pointers .....hope that helps .........
.............happy to talk you through "flying Doctor style " over the phone :music:
Thanks but I will be away from home for at least a week.

If the pin is loose as suggested ....slide a 10 spanner onto the hex pin and tighten the dome head Allen key to secure
All very simple and with care you don't have to remove the wheel to gain access . ......a five minute job . 👍Test ride to prove and recheck after thirty miles .🤔 Then carry out a proper brake and axle service as hinted at and described earlier . All better than a three day round trip and it will give you confidence for future trike maintenance 😁

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If the pin is loose as suggested ....slide a 10 spanner onto the hex pin and tighten the dome head Allen key to secure
All very simple and with care you don't have to remove the wheel to gain access . ......a five minute job . 👍Test ride to prove and recheck after thirty miles .🤔 Then carry out a proper brake and axle service as hinted at and described earlier . All better than a three day round trip and it will give you confidence for future trike maintenance 😁
Thanks. The pin is not loose but the locating slot seems to be too wide and when the brake is applied there is a click as the pin moves to the edge of the slot. The other side is firm and completely silent on brake application. I think there has been some misunderstanding regarding the issue as the click is a once only noise when the brake is applied when moving. With the trike up on axle stands there is no other source of noise and it is definitely coming from the movement of the pin against the edge of the slot and once located the brake operates as normal.
I have been doing my own bike maintenance now for many years and have tackled every aspect of bike repair but drum brakes are new to me as are trikes in general and living out in the sticks I just have to tackle anything myself anyway but internet advice always helps.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Further to my click problem with the brake on my trike. Thank you all who offered suggestions and one of them appears to have worked. The axle was not completely tight. It took very little to just firm it up and not had an extended run yet but the noise has vanished while sat behind the car.

Top Bottom