Brake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnboyturbo

Ok will
2013 Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000 Racing Road Bike brake calliper 49mm drop Front

Fit on my viking bike plz

Unlikely. The caliper mounting bolts on those Vikings look pretty unique to me - regular mounting bolts are a lot shorter and are secured differently. You might be able to upgrade the pads on your existing calipers though.

OP
OP
johnboyturbo

johnboyturbo

null_zpsb9223c5d.jpg

These is my bike people looks like they are 13 mm bolt on the front and that takes of the caliper on the other upgrade one I see on eBay they are Allen key

Don't see why they are not upgradeable. From the look of it you have old-school single pivot calipers. Dura Ace would be overkill but something like this (guessing, without knowing the exatc drop needed for your bike) should fit just fine

http://www.parker-international.co....rrer=froogle&gclid=CPycn9LszroCFbLJtAodCzwAwQ

If you look at the way the caliper mounting bolts attach, you can see they are completely non-standard. Dura Ace, or any other regular fit caliper, will almost certainly not fit.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Are the holes in the frame different to a normal frame then? Wouldn't you just take the whole set up off apart and replace with new calipers?

Looks perfectly standard to me. Just that the calipers are old school single pivot. I could take the dura ace calipers off a fancy bike and fit sturmey archer steel sidepulls, so see no reason why the other way wouldn't work.

But even the budget end of Tektro dual-pivots would be a massive improvement on single-pivot, so my advice to the OP would be that Dura-Ace would be overkill

Looks perfectly standard to me. Just that the calipers are old school single pivot. I could take the dura ace calipers off a fancy bike and fit sturmey archer steel sidepulls, so see no reason why the other way wouldn't work.

But even the budget end of Tektro dual-pivots would be a massive improvement on single-pivot, so my advice to the OP would be that Dura-Ace would be overkill

If you look at the pic, you can see they are not 'standard'. Standard calipers have a 6mm threaded mounting spindle designed to be fastened with an M6 sleeve nut which secures against a recess on the opposite side of the fork crown, (or brake bridge if on the rear). Such fittings are flush with the frame and you can see that these aren't. Because of the way these calipers are mounted - and because of the size of the mounting bolts - it will not be possible to fit standard calipers.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you look at the pic, you can see they are not 'standard'. Standard calipers have a 6mm threaded mounting spindle designed to be fastened with an M6 sleeve nut which secures against a recess on the opposite side of the fork crown, (or brake bridge if on the rear). Such fittings are flush with the frame and you can see that these aren't. Because of the way these calipers are mounted - and because of the size of the mounting bolts - it will not be possible to fit standard calipers.
Yes but if the hole in the frame is the standard size, which can't be seen from the pic, then the whole fitting would be replaced with a 6mm spindle and sleeve set up.

It's very standard. It's a hole in the fork / brake bridge. Can't get much more standard than that.

The only difference is what you're putting through the hole. Hardly a bodge.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm obviously missing something. The setup currently on the bike looks weird but it you take that long bolt thing off with everything attached to it, how would it be a bodge job to fit a new caliper flush to the frame in the usual way with the usual fitting?

I'm obviously missing something. The setup currently on the bike looks weird but it you take that long bolt thing off with everything attached to it, how would it be a bodge job to fit a new caliper flush to the frame in the usual way with the usual fitting?

The answer all depends on the size of the caliper mount bolts. If they are indeed 13mm nuts, like the OP says, then it suggests an M8 shank, so a 6mm sleeve nut will just fall through the hole without having anything (or at best, very little) to tighten against. And even if you could tighten it, running a 6mm bolt through an M8 bore on a safety critical application is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
I would question the 13mm though on 2 counts (perhaps the OP can double check) - at the moment I missed that but would fel fairly confident dismissing that as an error or typo -OP only says "looks like"

• I have NEVER seen a 13mm nut (M8) secure a caliper
  • I am sure that Viking would only source very standard parts to keep cost down. There are 2 Viking road bikes in the shop about 5 metres away from me on the other side of the office wall, neither have 13mm nuts on the brake

You're right to mention this of course, but it would indeed be VERY non-standard

I would advise the OP to seek help in changing them over however, due to the mention of the nut on the front removing the caliper. The nut on the front is a locknut to keep the caliper unit held together, it's the nut to the rear (for clarity of front/rear I'm talking front brake) that secures the caliper in place

Top Bottom