Brake squealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My rear brake disc squeals very loudly but only after prolonged use. Performance doesnt seem to be affected in anyway and theres reasonable amount of brake pad left. If I release and then reapply the brake the noise goes away seemingly until the brake gets very hot again. This isnt a real concern or is it?

OP
OP
U

User16625

Actually I did adjust the position of the calliper recently as I wanted to get the pads closer to the disc. Thats most likely the issue, cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It also depends on what pads you use.
The stock pads supplied with my Kona where awfully loud.
Swapped over to DiscoBrakes Semi Metallic pads at £5.00 a pair... and silence..................

Also, try smearing a little grease on the reverse of the pads, that helps to dampen the pads.

M1ke

I recently cured my squealing brakes by first removing the pads, thoroughly cleaning the callipers and prior to replacing the pads I smeared a small amount of copper ease on the rear of the pads, much the same way as you would on a car. They have not squealed since.

I actually like a bit of squeal.

Well..no, I don't really BUT - the squeal of a brake seems to alert people to a bicycle (what it is and where it is coming from) than any bell, airzound or "excuse me". WHen my brakes do develop a squeal I find the touch of a squeaky brake is easier to apply than flicking a bell AND translates better

Top Bottom