Brake Squealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joggingbob

Not sure if this might be better placed in the beginners but bear with me...

A couple of weeks ago I changed the disk pads on my Trek MTB for the first time, (Avid Juicy 3). I replaced the original set of pads with EBC pads (sinter). All went well, I had to push the pistons back as the pads were v.worn, (the rear almost to the metal !). Test ride and all was well and bed them in with hard stops and riding with brakes on for a short distance.

First commute and all well. Second commute and front disk squeal, (permanent squeal except when the brakes are applied). Nearly two weeks in (circa 150 miles and this is now very irritating with various odd glances from peds and dogs - it is loud)

To attempt to resolve I have done the following over the course of the two weeks:-
  • Cleaned rotor with white spirit
  • Light sanding of pads
  • Applied coppersil, (equivalent) to back of pads
  • Swapped rear with front pads and front with rear this seemed to resolve as it was quiet for the first 5 miles but then front squeal returned, (so assume not the new pads at fault).
  • Each time I swap the pads out the pistons appear to have retracted ok without my intervention.
  • Last night I placed the old pads back and peace was restored but this is only a temporary measure.
The front caliper appears tight to the fork. The original pads appear to have worn evenly.

Thoughts and suggestions please!!

tandemman

I'd slacken off caliper mounting bolts, apply brake lever hold lever in the on position with a toe strap then retighten the caliper bolts, it worked on my cannondale with juicy 3s:smile:

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

Tandemman, thanks I will certainly give it a try. Were you suffering the same problem? (It certainly feels like suffering now).

tandemman

Exactly the same problem, the sintered pads really do have to hit the rotor dead square or the squeal is terrible, the fixing bolts have the same cup washers on as V brake pads so it is very easy to square things up.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

Tandemman, You're a star!! adjusted as you stated at the weekend and have now done 36, blissfully squeal free, commuting miles. Thanks.

Top Bottom