Brake Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottyB

My new new bike has 105 brakes on it and compared to my old bike the braking is phenomenal. I am going to keep the other bike with mudguards and run it for commuting/wet weather etc but in the winter I am sure it will become my main bike for a period of time!

I am looking to upgrade the brakes to something of a similar standard because it seems sensible that in poorer weather you want maximum brake power!

The brakes I am looking to upgrade are Tektro dual-pivot and they are running with Shimano 2300 STI shifter which is on an 8 speed 2300 (sora equivalent).

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
105 ones if happy with those?

Origamist

Legendary Member
You'll need medium or long reach caliper brakes, most likely, if you're running mudguards. Generally speaking, these don't brake quite as well as short reach calipers like the 105s you have on your new bike. It might be worth going for new cables and pads (KoolStop) with your existing Tektros to see if that improves things. Clean your rims too!

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I had Tektro's on my Defy 1 and they were very poor. Upgraded to 105 and chuffed with the upgrade. I would go with what @vickster suggests and go for those again. Good prices to be had if you shop around online btw.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bear in mind that this is a somewhat contraversial topic - a lot of discussion here; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brake-upgrade-worth-it.177340/

I'd stick BR-650s on it, personally, as I had good results from replacing the Tektro long drop brakes I had on my Giant SCR2 with those. Merlin currently sell a pair of them for £60.

Other folk reckoned the change in pads (to whatever Shimano ship the BR-650 with) could have been the decisive factor.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

I was under the impression 105 wouldn't be compatible? If they are then that is ideal (if they fit over the cruds) as I do think they are great.

Top Bottom